Tito Ortiz Signs With Affliction, To Face Renato “Babalu” Sobral

Updated: August 5, 2008

tito ortiz to affliction

We knew it was coming, former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz signs with Affliction MMA. Sport Illustrated has the scoop:

“I guarantee you that my contract will be like no other,” said Ortiz, stopping short of giving away the specifics of a deal that could include responsibilities outside of the ring. “It will be a ground-breaking record contract for sure, without a doubt. There’s so much money to be made right now in mixed martial arts and it’s all about the fighters trying to make that money. It’s going to be a long-term deal where I put my heart and soul into the company and help build them. That’s something I’m interested in doing. They’re going to bring me on, not just as a fighter but also doing some of the back work also.”

Tito Ortiz vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral:

“Babalu has been in my crosshairs,” Ortiz said. “He’s already been talking smack, saying if he sees me he’s going to kick my ass, but right on if he keeps thinking that. He’ll get his face caved in sooner or later. I know Frank Shamrock is another person who’s been opening up his mouth. He beat me the last time we fought and I think that would be a great revenge fight where I kick his ass and finally shut him up. As time goes we’ll see who Affliction signs besides me. I don’t know. I might even go up to heavyweight if the bigger pay days are there.”

Tito Guarantees half a million PPV buys:

“Mr. Trump works fast and gets busy in a lot of the things he does and he’s going to give me the best deal possible,” said Ortiz. “I know they want to make some money and I know they got over 100,000 pay-per-view buys on their first show and with me it’s guaranteed to be over 500,000 pay-per-view buys just by the number of fans that are going to follow me no matter where I go so they’re going to get there money’s worth just in pay-per-view no matter what.”

1. Maui MMA

August 5, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Tito is damned delusional about what he can and cant do.. but he is a damn good sales man.. if he gets trump to buy into him with a "record deal" he will be pissed when Titos stock plummets when he loses every high profile fight he has.. Babalu will destroy him. Tito hasn't been relevant since he lost to Chuck. Titos 1 dimensional fighting and his want for the Hollywood spot will always make him a sub-par fighter. Sorry for the rant.. but he irks me.

2. steve

August 5, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I dont think Baalu will destroy him by any means. Tito I think has the edge in stand up and will be able to take babalu down and ground and pound. Should be a war and yeah tito is a lil soft now a days but I still think h should win this fight.

3. steve

August 5, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Babalu*

4. T.R.

August 5, 2008 at 3:26 pm

i have liked tito in the past but right now i agree with you about his performances in the cage. If he doesn't start winning then this will not pay off for mr. trump and affliction. I also think that frank shamrock will beat him sensless if they fight again.

5. derek

August 5, 2008 at 4:35 pm

This article isn't correct. Tito has not signed with affliction yet. The quotes come from a bigger article, where he states that he is still in negotiations. Affliction wants to match Renato with Tito, when Tito signs. but again, Tito hasn't signed yet. although he probably will before the weekend.

6. Oswald Gobblecock

August 5, 2008 at 4:52 pm

"Tito I think has the edge in stand up" Really cause it's well known that Tito's stand up sucks! Also I agree with everything you said Maui about Tito.

7. myk

August 5, 2008 at 11:38 pm

your right maui…he is a good sales person especially for mma..but as a fighter i think he can't beat frank or he is going to have hard time with babalu. Unless if tito has improved in his past fight, which i don't see it in his last fight with machida..

8. roy

August 6, 2008 at 1:37 am

i think it is a good signing for affliction, tito is still a big draw even if he is not the good anymore, he should match up pretty good with babalu(wrestler) although i think babalu is the better striker and probally will win.also i heard tito and jenna are expecting a baby.

9. Thomas

August 6, 2008 at 2:26 am

I have always been interested in paying to see Tito lose. He might be right about a large number of PPV buys, but we are not all fans.

10. luke

August 6, 2008 at 5:58 am

Tito lacks the determination he once had. He turned down the deal with UFC because he cant beat the top guys anymore. All that guy wants is more money for fighting lower competition and more exposure for his celebrity relationship.

Tito's last few performances in UFC were terrible, he won a controversial decision over Forrest Griffin. The fights with Ken Shamrock were just pointless and didn't prove he was still top level. He was then knocked out by Liddell (again), cheated his way to a draw with rashard, and proved he couldn't handle the elite when he fought Machida.

11. Nate Fury

August 6, 2008 at 8:24 am

Tito Ortiz is another great addition to Affliction! This is a huge day for mma. For the first time since the purchase of Pride, the UFC now has some quality competition. Affliction has the star power to be a huge threat to the three headed monster and if they can keep afloat financialy, will be around a long long time. Elite XC, on the other hand, is struggling to keep up with the powerful UFC. Landing the prime time slot was huge for Elite XC, but with the recent departures of two of their top agents, their recent decline in ratings on their last event and Kimbo Slice's last lack luster performance, will Elite XC be able to survive?

12. Ryan S

August 6, 2008 at 8:29 am

Tito has lost a lot of fans over the past couple years, and those are some big numbers to guarantee. Is it me, or does it seem that, purely based on the things he says, that tito would rather be behind the scenes than fighting, as long as it pays better. Seems like he wants to be more of a businessman than a fighter.

13. T.R.

August 7, 2008 at 6:29 am

Ryan, it does seem like that. I wish Tito would just get his mean streak back and start pounding people out again.

14. Tim Fry

August 8, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Tito wants money and Mr. Trump has plenty of that So look 4 Tito 2 take it easy and he will lose.

15. Terd Ferguson

August 30, 2008 at 3:42 am

Who is this guy talking about "controversial decision" over Forrest Griffin! HA!(Luke's Comment) Guy, did you watch the fight!? My god, I cant believe they didnt stop it in the first round!(Lucky Forrest)—–Liddell loses to Jardine(Reality Star)—-Rampage Loses to Griffin(Reality Star). I am a massive Tito fan, honestly i can say since Liddell knocked him out, he has lacked his FIRE/Confidence…..but, Liddell KO's Couture(Twice)—-Jardine beats Liddell……does that mean Keith "the Mean" Jardine is the Worlds Greatest? Tito -vs- Kimbo. RECORD SALES, Trump knows it, and its gonna shatter RECORDS

16. Jordan Katz

August 30, 2008 at 5:41 am

Terd, I just re-watched the Ortiz/Griffin fight again and thought it was incredibly close. The final takedown in the third round by Tito is probably what clinched him the victory. Clearly, it was a close fight. If the two were to meet again today, I'd have my money on Griffin.

17. Luke

August 31, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Obviously i watched the fight Terd! Sure Tito landed a lot of ebows in the 1st round but Griffin got back to his feet and started winning the kickboxing exchange with like 2 minutes of the 1st left. Then griffin dominated the 2nd round with his takedown defence and his range. I dont think that last takedown in the 3rd counted for much it was sloppy and Grifin landed elbows from the bottom and worked his way back to his feet and out boxed Ortiz for the last 20 – 30 seconds just like he did for the first 2 minutes of the 3rd round.

18. Luke

September 1, 2008 at 12:05 am

sorry thats elbows* oh and Griffin*.

19. Ryan S

September 1, 2008 at 12:11 am

I wouldn't call the guys from the show reality stars. That kind of implies they were guys that just wanted to be on tv. That show was a good way to give exposure to the fighters from the top people at UFC. Either way though, I almost think reality star is better than what Ortiz has turned into. I used to love to watch him fight, and yeah, he isn't doing as well now but that is the way it works. But now he is trying to be a businessman AND fight, saying he is just a fighter. That is ridiculous. He is just looking for the way to make the most money. I don't think he enjoys fighting as much as he says, but he tries to keep up that image.