Travis Lutter Released By The UFC

Updated: April 27, 2008
travis lutter

FightTicker is reporting that Travis Lutter has informed them that he has been released from his contract by the UFC.

The 34 year old TUF veteran, suffered a second round TKO loss to Rich Franklin at UFC 83.

Lutter leaves the UFC on a two fight losing streak and an overall UFC record or 2-4.

Lutter has confirmed the news on his MySpace page:

Friday afternnon I was told by my manager that UFC matchmaker Joe Silza had left my him a message on his phone that I had been released from my UFC contract because of my 2 losses in a row.

1. danedrebin

April 27, 2008 at 1:26 pm

that's pretty sad man i mean the guy was facing the two best middle weights in the world give the guy a break. im pretty sure he could still sub patrick cote in round one. kendal got demolished in the first round two times in a row and he is the main event with evan tanner. owell im sure elitexc will pick him up and make him a star. it's the ufc's loss not lutters

2. king-hydro

April 27, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Ya what a load of shit, Lutter was the only one to go any kind of distance with Silva. Chris Leben has lost a load of times to no bodies and he is still in the UFC

3. Every1

April 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Danedrebin, Lutter's not a big loss to the UFC… he needs them alot more then UFC needs him. I don't think they really let him go just cause he lost twice in a row cause lots of people have lost twice in a row and not been let go. I think it's because the guy doesn't train hard enough cause he tires by the 2nd round which no UFC fighter should do!

4. derek

April 27, 2008 at 2:55 pm

wow, i guess winning the TUF contract doesn't mean shit then. TUF contract guarantees 6 fights in 2 years, i believe with a possible max of 200K. but damn, that sucks. lutter does have some good BJJ though. i have to admit that out of henderson and franklin, lutter did look the best against silva.

5. Nicks

April 27, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I can't see why the UFC would cut him.

They did it so soon and really makes them look like they just left him out to dry.

After a pretty good loss to Franklin which I though he almost had won if he could have locked up that armbar a little more.

I guess the UFC is starting to listen to there "focus group" or just the boos. I hope some other league picks him up also.

6. kom34

April 27, 2008 at 5:21 pm

i like lutter but i can see why they cut him. he is a good fighter, has a good chin, and a great ground game. but at that level you cant show up not making weight or not being able to go 2 rounds. he needs to get some training discipline and hopefully he can make a comeback.

7. Richy Cunningham

April 27, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I don't like Lutter. His lack of commitment to training in cardio, his laze fair attitude to the game and his arrogance about how great he is and how he's never going to lose to Anderson Silva again, make me dislike him.

I'd like to see him stay though and fight Silva again just to see Silva wipe the floor with him in the first round. People always go on about how he almost won against the Spider but if you watch closely Silva has a rock hard chin and wasn't that effected by the punches.

April 27, 2008 at 11:51 pm

i dont like lutter but this is bs he won the tuf show and and did very good vs silva and vs rich idk why they would kick him out because he is good but maybe its because he didnt make weight for silva and you know that got dana mad

9. Thomas

April 28, 2008 at 12:07 am

I think the UFC was ready to pull the trigger when he couldn't make weight, not just for a fight, but a championship fight. He was for all practical purposes, on probation. He didn't do what he needed to in the last fight.

10. erik

April 28, 2008 at 12:33 am

it seemed like lutter didnt have passion when he fought…it was like when he got tired he gave up and let ppl get the best of him…i think he could have been LOTS better if he had the determination to do so

11. Kash

April 28, 2008 at 4:57 am

I don't get how a pro fighter who's job is to train and get in shape comes out to the 2nd round and can barely lift his arm to throw a punch. Lutter disappointed me more against Franklin than he did not making weight with Anderson. They had to cut him.

12. Oswald Gobblecock

April 28, 2008 at 6:42 am

He's very skilled but doesn't train hard enough to last in a fight. He's no loss to the UFC. I don't like how they let people go so easily though.