TUF Finalist Phillipe Nover Earns Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Black Belt

Updated: December 8, 2008

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 8 finalist Phillipe Nover earns his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt under Alexandre “Soca” Freitas, according to his personal blog. Soca an Abu Dhabi champion, runs the Soca Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy in Long Island, New York.

My teacher Soca gave me my black belt today. It has been a long journey and I have finally arrived. I’ve been training Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for over 8 years. To me, obtaining a black belt brings the art to full circle. I will continue to train just as hard as I have been and will strive to the top. Thank you to all my training partners and teachers, especially Soca for believing in me! I only hope to make you all proud next week and bring home victory! I will keep this fire in me burning. My time is now!

Nover will take on Efrain Escudero at the TUF 8 Finale on December 13 from The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada.

1. Nick

December 8, 2008 at 3:40 am

This guy is gonna be a beast.

2. CagE

December 8, 2008 at 3:53 am

Agree, Nover is going to be a force in the UFC.

3. crynot

December 8, 2008 at 8:10 am

You said it. I can't wait to see what the future brings for him. He's a flippin' stud!!

4. zalbag

December 8, 2008 at 10:41 am

Yeah you have to like this guy> I would love to see him fight Spencer Fisher or Joe Lauzon as his first fight. Spencer Fisher and Nover would put on a stand-up clinic.

5. richaaron

December 8, 2008 at 12:24 pm

I agree that Phillipe is gonna be a force in the UFC but he first has to get past Efrain for some real street cred. I'm sure that if he loses he will still fight in the UFC but he would look alot more seasoned if he defeats Escudero. Prediction: Nover via TKO in the 1st.

6. Ryan S

December 8, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I agree with that prediction. Nover is just becoming more and more dangerous. Now all he needs is some experience and he could easily be a contender.

7. dane drebin

December 8, 2008 at 1:57 pm

lets just hope he doesnt faint when he enters the ring haha jk

seriously tho i think he's the only won with championship potential on the show. only time will tell but thats just my impression.