UFC 101: BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian CONFIRMED

Updated: March 30, 2009

penn ufc fighter

According to BJPenn.com, UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn will defend his title against top contender Kenny “Kenflo” Florian at UFC 101 on August 8th from the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, PA.

According to our sources here within Team Penn, Florian has already signed the bout agreement for this fight. As for BJ, we received the bout agreement this afternoon and plan on making this fight happen.

Kenny Florian stirred the pot last week on ESPN’s Inside MMA:

“At the end of the day, I just want this fight to be signed. Let’s get an event, let’s get a date, and let’s make it happen.”

A man of so many words, BJ Penn had little to say:

“I look forward to the challenge.”

Penn has not defended his UFC lightweight title since defeating Sean Sherk via third round TKO at UFC 84.

1. roy

March 30, 2009 at 1:34 am

good, i hope he is over his last loss and just moves on.

2. Miko

March 30, 2009 at 1:44 am

It's about freakin time.

I don't know if Kenny will win but its gonna be goood :D

March 30, 2009 at 1:45 am

I hope that kenny kills BJ and i think he will..i think KEnnys kicks will be to much on the feet and i think On the mat it will be eqaul and kenny always comes in great shape and Kenny has a good chin…I see bj winning the first round or 2 then Kenny will take over and win the fight by a sub in the 4 round

HA Bj will never dop that GSP killed him..

4. T.R.

March 30, 2009 at 2:56 am

bj will walk through kenny just like he did with sherk.

5. STEVEO

March 30, 2009 at 5:17 am

17 PPVS since he won that belt. It has been that long and he hasn't even defended it yet. Silva fought a month before that and twice since then. Stop ducking fights and get in the ring and prove your one of the best in the world and stoping telling everyone you are. T.R. Kenny may lose but I bet he will figure out eating jabs isnt a good strategy to winning and maybe just maybe kenny will try something different. Any way you look at it the longer this fight goes it favors Kenny and I don't think that B.J. has shown me he has the gas that florian does.

6. BOATDRINKS

March 30, 2009 at 6:26 am

Florian will submit Penn early and send BJ for retirement. Then Penn will spend the rest of his days making excuses for everything including being born. I hope after this fight we never see or hear from this idiot again. Make it happen Ken-Flo.

7. Official Pro Sports

March 30, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Should be a good fight I would have to give it to BJ Penn for the quick boot to the head to win it.

8. dane drebin

March 30, 2009 at 6:16 pm

i dunno i want kenny to win this fight so we have a champion that actually defends his title and trains for his fights but i dont know i kinda gotta go with BJ on this 1. kenny has a good shot but dont think BJ is a shitty fighter just because GSP dominated him. GSP dominates everyone and was way bigger than penn. i will be rooting for kenny but i think penn might pound the shit out of kenny to be honest. i hope its a war.

9. Ryan S

March 30, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Steveo, he defended it against Sherk and Stevenson and I thought Pulver but maybe not. I still don't see how losing to St. Pierre makes you a bad fighter. Penn has gone further on the ground and on the feet than Kenny has, so I just don't see him winning, but he will definately give BJ hell.

10. Miko

March 31, 2009 at 7:01 am

If Kenny wins, I wonder how many excuses BJ will come up with. He's had an excuse for every fight he's ever lost.

He's never said the other guy was better. I cant wait O.o