UFC 101: Matt Hamill vs Brandon Vera

Updated: March 30, 2009
matt hamill faces tim boetsch

matt hamill faces tim boetsch

Matt “The Hammer” Hamill (6-2) vs. Brandon “The Truth” Vera (10-3) is in the works for UFC 101, according to MMAMadness.

Both light heavyweight fighters secured victories at UFC 96 in Columbus, Ohio. Vera chopped Mike Patt’s legs to win an impressive second round TKO victory. Matt Hamill showed some improved stand-up by knocking out top wrestler Mark Munoz in the first round at UFC 96.

For the latest on UFC 101, check out our UFC Rumors section.

1. STEVEO

March 30, 2009 at 6:52 am

GREATEST T-SHIRT EVER!!!

2. Cobra Clutch

March 30, 2009 at 7:57 am

Screw what Bisping said. I like both fighters, and they have to put themselves in someone else's shoes before judging them. If they were deaf and stuck in a house with a bunch of adolescent guys, how do they expect Matt to really assimilate in the same way? It's tough. It's not his fault that Tito favored him. He's a hard worker and definitely apologized the second he found out anyone took any offense to his jokes or boasts, as he was just trying to play around. I like Matt, respect his work ethic, and admire his courage and talent to be able to excel to this level in ANY sport. More power to ya, buddy…keep up the great work!

3. Cobra Clutch

March 30, 2009 at 7:58 am

Oh, yeah…and I second what STEVEO said…awesome T-Shirt! LOL!

4. steve

March 30, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Matt is nothing short of inspirational. He has imbraced being deaf and I am very glad he is finding success. Vera is gonna be tough for him. Matt doesnt have the best style of fight but I will root for him no matter. Besides he came out to hang on sloopy and had an osu jeresy on and its safe to say he has one of the best attitudes in mma.

5. jack

March 30, 2009 at 2:18 pm

he kicked the count's ass

6. DanP

March 30, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I think Hamil is a complete prick!… Having said that he's no slouch.. I see Vera chopping him down with Leg kicks – similar to the Rich Franklin fight… The winner of this fight should face Rob Bones Jones

7. rory

March 31, 2009 at 2:42 am

vera by knockout

8. Cobra Clutch

March 31, 2009 at 7:29 am

I agree he kicked the count's ass.

Judges scores:

29-28 Bisping

30-27 Hammill

29-28 Bisping

And the fight was in the UK…complete B.S. How can one judge see a clean sweep (as we all did), but the other two saw Bisping eeking it out. Unreal.

9. Ryan S

March 31, 2009 at 10:14 am

I'll tell you one thing Cobra, I think if they fought again it would not go down the same way. Hamill has evolved a good amount.

And I'm not sure I see Vera winning this. He could get the knockout, but Hamill is great on the ground, and his standup has improved like crazy, but not at Vera's level. It will be good.

10. dane drebin

March 31, 2009 at 10:27 am

i like hamill but i think vera takes this one

11. WHODINI

March 31, 2009 at 9:11 pm

im taking Vera also

12. roy

April 1, 2009 at 1:46 am

i agree i like hamill but if vera shows up it might be a easy fight for him, if he comes in not agrresive though hamill might have a shot.

April 1, 2009 at 2:16 am

it will be a good fight..i think hamil will take vera down and pound him put or I see vera using kicks like rich to win..i like them both but love matts t shirt