UFC 108: Nogueira Out Against Velasquez With Staph, Lesnar Still Sick

Updated: November 14, 2009
mma_lesnar_brock

mma_lesnar_brock

UFC President Dana White addresses the injury situation with Nogueira and Lesnar at the UFC 105 post-fight press conference. According to white, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will have to withdraw from his main event fight Cain Velasquez due to a severe case of Staph infection.

“[Nogueira] got staph infection, bad, to the point now it’s in his bloodstream, and he’s probably going to have to be hospitalized and intravenously given the antibiotics,”

Also, Brock Lesnar is not doing so good, his fight with Shane Carwin once scheduled for UFC 106, has been put off indefinitely.

“I am worried about it … I can’t really talk about it right now, but [Lesnar] is in rough shape. He’s in really bad shape.

“I’m actually probably going to fly to go see him, and we’re going to probably have to do some stuff to take care of this guy. He is not well, and he’s not getting any better.”

“I don’t know … I’ve got to get him to one of these really good hospitals with really good doctors to figure out what’s wrong and how we get him better.”

“[Lesnar] is in bad shape, and the reality is they don’t really know all that’s wrong with him … He owns a bunch of property in Canada. He went up to Canada just to get away from his house, to go up there and just kind of chill out up there.

“He [expletive] dropped. He went down, and he had to go to the hospital. They ran every test on the planet on him, and they ended up finding out something else was wrong with him.”

“If it’s a long wait, we’re gong to have to do something … We’re going to have to — the last thing I ever want to do is strip a guy who won a title. That’s the last thing I want to do. I don’t know if we’ll have to do an interim or what we’ll do to fix it.” [MMAJunkie]

“It’s crazy … In nine years of being in this business, we haven’t had this many injuries in one (full) year.”

Bad news for UFC 108 as well as the UFC heavyweight division. With the top two heavyweights out indefinitely, the UFC must figure its next move to salvage the division. Carwin vs Velasquez?

1. rory

November 14, 2009 at 9:54 pm

terrible..pure terrible

2. Donio

November 15, 2009 at 12:46 am

Just give us Cain VS Carwin lit it was supposed to .

Carwin diden deserve a titel shot in the first place he and cain where gone fight for it in the first place so now they can :D winner gets te titel shot and loser get his first los .

Karma thats what its called

November 15, 2009 at 1:22 am

lets See randy vs Tito 2 on this date, because we all know tito will kill forrest then randy

4. Tim

November 15, 2009 at 3:13 am

This is really bad and you have to feel for White, Lesnar and his family, not only does he have mono but he has another serious illness, who knows the way Dana is talking Lesnar may never fight again. Lets just stay postive and hope for the best like him or hate him you never want to see a fighter with a serious illness.

I was thinking the same thing last night, Tito vs Randy 2, would be great and i bet it will happen if Tito wins.

5. Hall

November 15, 2009 at 3:14 am

Well I hope Brock gets better but oh well lets make a new champ right now and when he gets rid of the cold feet he can come back. Fedor if your reading this stay away from UFC theres a pandemic going around .

6. Hall

November 15, 2009 at 3:16 am

Pandemic UFC virus called coldfeet!

7. Hall

November 15, 2009 at 3:21 am

Tim if it is true about Brock I will keep him in my prayers but I know how Dana has lied in the past and I hope he is not lying about something like this. Dana can not be trusted

8. Rayburn

November 15, 2009 at 4:16 am

Sad news for Lesnar, hope he gets better to fight again.

9. GG

November 15, 2009 at 5:55 am

This is bad 4 the ufc. Lately there has been so many crappy cards, and boring ass fights. Thats why last night we watched the boxing event instead. There isn't anything good coming up soon either, seriously tito vs griffin ppv? yea right.

10. rory

November 15, 2009 at 6:01 am

i disagree i think theres been some really entertaining cards recently but do agree tito vs forrest isnt main event status, give cain the fight against carwin and just see how brock recovers. Cant wait for mir vs kongo thats gonna be fireworks !

11. jack

November 15, 2009 at 6:18 am

easy fix make Cain fight Carwin like they should have before anyway the winner gets Lesnar in the spring

12. Tim

November 15, 2009 at 9:59 am

Dana or anybody else wouldnt lie about a fighters health there isnt anything to gain from that. Look at reality Lesnar is sick and so are a few others, it happens. The main thing for a promoter is fighter safety which Dana has made his priority as you see it in every fight hell you even see it on the shows, he always goes out of his way to check on his fighters and to make sure they are okay.

If lesnar can come back and fight and i doubt it, based upon my readings its sounds serious enough to where he may not be able to train for 6 months, they will probably put up an interim belt.

13. CobraClutch

November 16, 2009 at 4:25 am

what … the … fuck.

1. This is bad news, and hope Brock is OK, but wow, what an injury bug right now in the UFC

2. Hall, you're a silly boy.

3. I don't know if I was Brock that I would like Dana putting him all on front street like that about my health. Dana makes it sounds like Brock's dying or something. This is not something to mess around with. If it IS that serious, then respect the man and keep your mouth shut about the details. If this is all hype, then Dana loses all the good-will I ever said about him. But I'll still watch, because I love MMA, the UFC Fighters, and it more exciting than "hugging and dancing" (sorry, I mean "boxing").