UFC 76: Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine

Updated: July 13, 2007

Keith Jardine

UFCJunkie is reporting, today the UFC has reached a tentative agreement between Chuck Liddell and Keith Jardine for UFC 76 in Anaheim California this September. The news of this deal comes just days after the fall out of the Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva fight. The Ultimate Fighter standout Keith Jardine is coming off a brutal 41 second KO defeat to Houston Alexander at UFC 71. Jardine who probably would have received a title shot if he had beaten Alexander, will now face the former light heavyweight champion in a must win fight for both fighters.

1. Meatmallet

July 13, 2007 at 7:43 am

Ho hum. How about Forest? I like him but im not sold on Jardine as an A level fighter.

2. Adrian Tapia

July 13, 2007 at 8:33 am

Forrest is a big draw, Jardine is someone the UFC can let go.

I would like to see Liddell and Alexander go at it.

3. Mikey

July 13, 2007 at 8:42 am

Dana wants Chuck back on top and he obviously thinks that Jardine matches up well against Chuck. I'd like to see this fight.

4. Jude

July 13, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Out of touch here, what happened with Chuck & Silva? I missed something????

Not real excited about seeing Jardine fight, but loosing 2 in a row for Chuck wouldn't look to good. He needs a "give me" about right now & I suppose Jardine is as good as anyone.

5. Crynot

July 14, 2007 at 1:56 am

I would say that Jardine is no "give me". Chuck was caught by rampage and as we saw from what Jardine did with Forest – he definitely has the power to catch Chuck. Not that i think it would happen but I put Forrest to win over Jardine – you just never know in this sport.

6. Realwun

July 14, 2007 at 2:17 am

Dana was willing to give Silva the fight if he could do it in September. But in just two months, it would be hard for Silva to train properly for Chuck. He's got a lot going on right now and is even moving to the States.

Silva asked for a November fight with Chuck and I guess Dana agreed, then backed out like usual. He wanted September or nothing.

This is an easier fight for Chuck, but no walk in the park. I'm looking foward to this one too. Then next up will be either a title shot for Chuck or the match with Silva.

7. Jude

July 14, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Silva.

I hope the Chuck & Jardine fight will be as good as you guys say. I still feel like old Dana is just throwin' us a bone on this one. Hope I'm wrong & Jardine gives Chuck a good fight. Bottom line ..that's what I care about & the reason I watch. Every dog has his day & this IS the year of major upsets.

8. Kash

July 14, 2007 at 6:27 pm

Dana is definitely throwing Chuck a bone, you're right Jude. Here is what he wanted for Chuck:

He wanted either an out of shape Silva to fight in September or a matchup that would be in favor of Chuck. He got it with Jardine. Jardine will give Chuck a good fight and show. Even though he was knocked out in the last fight, did you see the punishment he took before finally falling. Damn, a lesser man would have been done with the right hooks to the head.

So Chuck does have a good advantage in this matchup, but it will be exciting still. Can't wait for Chuck vs. Silva. I'm thinking January for that one.

9. Jay

July 17, 2007 at 8:03 am

I am done wishing for the Chuck vs Silva fight. By the time we actually get to see them fight it will be a sideshow of two old guys out of their prime. Neither of them are getting any younger. January would be nice but I'm not getting my hopes up.

As far as Jardine, I agree that he is not an A class fighter but he does have a lot of ability. Still Chuck will dominate the fight, he knows he can't be as careless as he has been.

10. derek

July 25, 2007 at 9:30 am

chuck has too bring the fight and put some pressure on he always waits for the other guy too come forward the counter im no champion but i usually think too land the first big punch ……er what?