UFC 78 Results LIVE

Date:

November 17, 2007

Venue:

Prudential Arena: Newark, New Jersey

Broadcast:

Pay-Per-View @ 10 pm EST

Cage Today will have live coverage of the UFC 78 undercards starting around 8pm EST.

Main Card

• Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
    CT Round 1: 10-9 Evans
    CT Round 2: 10-9 Bisping
    CT Round 3: 10-9 Evans
    Rashad Evans defeats Michael Bisping by Split Decision.
  • Thiago Silva vs. Houston Alexander
    Thiago Silva defeats Houston Alexander by TKO (Strikes from the mount) at 3:25 of R1.
  • Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan
    CT Round 1: 10-9 Parisyan
    CT Round 2: 10-9 Parisyan
    CT Round 3: 10-9 Parisyan
    Karo Parisyan defeats Ryo Chonan by Unanimous Decision.
  • Ed Herman vs. Joe Doerksen
    CT Round 1: 10-9 Herman
    CT Round 2: 10-9 Herman
    Ed Herman defeats Joe Doerksen by KO (Punch) at 0:39 in R3.
  • Frankie Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher
    CT Round 1: 10-9 Edgar
    CT Round 2: 10-9 Edgar
    CT Round 3: 10-9 Edgar
    Frankie Edgar defeats Spencer Fisher by Unanimous Decision.

Under Card

• Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle
    Thiago Alves defeats Chris Lytle by TKO (Doctor Stoppage – Cut) at the end of R1.
  • Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt
    Joe Lauzon defeats Jason Reinhardt by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:14 of R1.
  • Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo
    Marcus Aurelio defeats Luke Caudillo by TKO (Strikes) at 4:29 of R1.
  • Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
    Akihiro Gono defeats Tamden McCrory by Submission (Armbar) at 3:19 of R2

For the latest UFC 78 Rumors check out our MMA FightCard section.

UFC 78 Links

UFC 78 Betting Odds
UFC 78 Weigh-In Results
UFC 78 Press Conference

UFC 78 Videos

UFC 78 Preview Video
ESPN Video: Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan Preview UFC 78
ESPN Interview with Frank Edgar and Spencer Fisher
ESPN Interview with Rashad Evans and Michael Bisping

1. steve

November 17, 2007 at 5:59 am

I hope Bisping beat the fuck out of Nipples/Rashad. Anybody see the weigh ins what a bitch. Bisping wanted to shake hands and instead Rashad pushed him. He is all agressive before a fight but when he gets in the ring he isnt. I dont get it. If rashad wins its cause he laid on bisping for a dec.

November 17, 2007 at 6:19 am

that true steve.. i hope Bisping knocks him out bc he should have lost vs ortiz

3. Morey

November 17, 2007 at 6:24 am

Rashad said Bisping has been running his mouth but I really haven't heard all that much coming from him. At the least, he paid respect to Rashad at the pre fight conference so he should have at least gave the same back. Funny how we all hated Bisping a few days ago until Rashad turned into the dick. What happened anyway, Rashad was always humble and now he is acting like Tito by having to hate all his opponents.

4. steve

November 17, 2007 at 4:01 pm

man the Houston Alexander fight was crazy. Thiago has some power from mount. Pin point accurate. Alexander was too conservative. Now to the main event. I think it could have gone either way. When watching it live I felt that Evans won but I know it could have gone either way. Tommorrow I will probally go bck and think that Bisping won but overall the fights tonite were very technical. I guess Rheinhardt had never been tested in 18 fights because he was panicing before Joe even threw a punch. It was funny cuzs he tapped twice. The first time the ref didnt think he was tapping he went to sleep woke back up and tapped out finally. I want to see Thiago Silva vs Rashad Evans Next.!!!!!

5. Joe

November 17, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Steve: Nipples Rashad..lol..

6. Joe

November 17, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Now watch everyone start saying Alexander sucks and was way overrated blah blah etc etc.. Did anyone else think Spencer was going to take Edgar?

7. Morey

November 17, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I'll admit that I thought Spencer was going to beat Edgar. I'll tell you why, although Edgar is physically dominant and his fight vs. Griffin was a classic, I thought that Fisher is coming in with more experience and with the confidence of dominating Stout. I had that totally wrong and it was the most disappointing fight of the night for me, I thought it would be closer.

If anyone has seen Houston's amateur footage, he looks like he hasnt improved his game at all. He is easily mounted and cant defend when he is mounted. I'll admit Thiago was great but at one moment when he put one foot foward, Houston should have trapped the other foot and swept him…but with his inexperience he bucked. Houston is a fan fav so he'll be back again.

Tell me if you guys see this coming. Rashad/Tito 2 and Bisping/Hamill 2…UFC ??: The Second Coming…or something like that.

8. Realwun

November 17, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I think Steve is spot on by saying that Houston was too timid and patient…he should have made it rain like he has done in the past.

I thought Evans won 2 rounds to 1. The reason is that in two rounds he finished stroner than Bisping, but in the 2nd Bisping finsihed stronger. Judges in the UFC seem to be really prejudice on when you are in control. You can be dominating the first three minutes, but the final 2 minutes leave the lasting impression on their minds when they vote.

9. Kash

November 17, 2007 at 5:18 pm

I can't believe Houston lost like that. I know people were bitching about this going to be a bad UFC and I thought it had some pretty good matchups. After watching it though I was disappointed for the most part. J Lau was a beast, he is the nerdy guy who will whoop some ass, he impressed me and so did Frankie Edgar, that guy does not stop.

10. Kash

November 17, 2007 at 5:22 pm

I don't even know who Rampage will fight next, everything is so screwed up below him. Does anyone else get the feeling that they might just let the winner of Liddell/Wanderlei get the next title shot?

11. Leet

November 17, 2007 at 5:40 pm

I liked the show. There were a lot of suprises for me like Alexander getting pounded out and Fisher getting handled. And did you guys see the new ring girl….damn, no questions on how she got that position.

12. Joe

November 17, 2007 at 6:15 pm

From the sounds of things on the forums and articles, I'm glad I went with my instincts saved my money. After reading what Leet just said, I'm a little upset that I missed the ring girl though. Oh well, next time.

Not sure who will fight Rampage. What do you guys think?…Griffin, Liddell, Wanderlei, Machida, Sokoudjou, Jardine? I guess we'll have a better perspective after UFC 79.

13. Morey

November 17, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Ramp is hurt, he wont fight till march. I think Joe is right we will find out in a month or so. Personally, there is no clear #1, so I think if Wandi wins Chuck, he gets the next title shot. Other than that…who knows…maybe Chuck if he wins. The ring girls was nice…extra small outfit for sure. Wonder what happened with Ali?

14. Kash

November 17, 2007 at 6:32 pm

lol Leet. Its good to know someone knows the finer points of a UFC…

15. KOPower

November 17, 2007 at 6:46 pm

It was a decent UFC. The best thing about it was it answered a lot of questions for me. 1…Edgar is pretty damn good. 2…Houston is one dimensional right now. 3…Rashad and Bisping are not good enough to fight for the title yet. 4…Karo is super strong and imposes his will on his opponents but he lacks stamina in the latter rounds.

16. steve

November 18, 2007 at 1:03 am

Right now I would say that the LHW scene is so big that I cant even tell you who will get a title shot. I know that I definetly want to see Thiago fight either Forrest Griffin or another real good fighter. I want to see the monster fights they have been talking about making for years. It looks like UFC 79 is on its way to being one of the best UFCs ever. I love the first 3 fights on there. I hope everyone stays healthy. And I hope Tito vs Rashad doesnt happen because the first fight wasnt great. Rematches are great fights not mediocre ones. I picked Frankie to win just because of hw good he did against Tyson G. Ok NOW IMAGINE HOUSTON AFTER HE TRAINED WITH RANDY COUTURE AND the rest of EXTREME COUTURE. Just look at what it did for Forrest Griffin.

November 18, 2007 at 2:15 am

if houston went to extreme couture he would doublemhes skill and become a great fighter..

18. Morey

November 18, 2007 at 10:01 am

I agree, what I saw is a guy who has not really improved on his ground skills since his amateur fights. He's got the strengh, got the striking, now he just needs to grapple his ass off.

19. Joe

November 18, 2007 at 10:12 am

I agree with Steve's last comment. Also, Houston is very raw and I believe a good camp would change everything for him if he's willing to do it. I read that (excluding self training) he only had 6-7 weeks with an actual trainer before the Jardine fight. The guy may have been "exposed" as a lot of people are saying, but it only proved that he doesn't have some of the skill set he could easily devolop. It'll take time but I hope he does it.

20. steve