UFC 81: Breaking Point Update

Updated: November 28, 2007

thales leites

A few new fights were reported today for UFC 81: Breaking Point to be held February 2 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

First, Thales Leites vs. Nate Marquardt

Leites a Brazilian fighter has an impressive 12-1 professional record. His only loss was to Martin Kampmann at The Ultimate Fighter Season 4 Finale in 2006. Leites is coming off of a submission (Armbar) win over Ryan Jensen at UFC 74 in August

Second,

David Heath vs. Andre Gusmao

Heath is coming off an embarrassing loss to Renato “Babalu” Sobral, in which Babalu refused to let a choke go after the tap, causing Heath to go unconches. The UFC eventually dropped Babalu from the organization for his antics in the cage. Heath has lost his last two fights and needs a win if he is going to stay in the UFC.

Gusmao (5-0), the undefeated IFL fighter will step into the cage for the first time at UFC 81. While he has an impressive record, he hasn’t fought any solid opponents and a win over David Heath might prove he belongs in the UFC.

Rumored Fights For UFC 81

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir
Tyson Griffin vs. Gleison Tibau
Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites
Alan Belcher vs. Ricardo Almeida
David Heath vs. Andre Gusmao

1. Morey

November 28, 2007 at 4:39 am

This is the superbowl UFC. I still think they need a headliner fight. Brock vs. Mir is a draw but thats not what I would consider a worthy main event for this one.

2. derek

November 28, 2007 at 5:14 am

wow, i didn't know babulu could be that unsportsmanlike.

3. Realwun

November 28, 2007 at 5:23 am

The worst part of the BAbalu/Heath fight was that Babalu beat him to a bloody mess and then held the choke. It he didnt look so bloody Babalu might have been able to stay in the UFC, but it looked like a massacre.

I just saw Penn/Pulver II and he held the choke about 2 seconds longer. In a rear naked some people go unconscious in under 4 seconds so its not right to hold it like that.

November 28, 2007 at 6:19 am

i think that is bs that ufc kicked babalu out..he didnt hold it that long and i have seen fights that ppl have done the same thing…he should still be in the ufc…I hope the head line is not mir vs brock..

5. steve

November 28, 2007 at 7:11 am

Agreed the main event is still to be announced in my mind. I will not order another PPV like UFC 78 again. It was the worst card I have ever seen. I disliked almost every single fight.

6. Realwun

November 28, 2007 at 7:18 am

I was looking foward to 78 and thought it would be a good PPV even though people didnt like the main event. But ur right, it was disappointing.

The word is that the headliner is going to be Nog vs. either Couture or Silvia. I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't really interest me as a main event either. I really hope they can add something else to that.

7. Realwun

November 28, 2007 at 7:18 am

Well maybe Nog vs. Couture but I dont think that is going to happen.

8. holt8081

November 28, 2007 at 7:48 am

Who cares no one like babalu anyway

9. Realwun

November 28, 2007 at 8:05 am

I do. He's a tough as fighter and talented too. He hung in a war with Fedor who was a lot bigger than him.

10. Kash

November 28, 2007 at 8:30 am

Babalu tore it up in that fight with Heath and after that I want to see him again. The only other fights I saw were of him losing to Liddell and Lambert. I think he'll be back in the UFC after a few fights.

11. onri

November 28, 2007 at 8:42 am

BJ Penn personally vouched to get Leites into the UFC. He is a wicked fighter and I think he's going to take Marquardt in the first round.

12. Strunky

November 28, 2007 at 9:24 am

I might like to see Couture beat up Silvia again, but not enough to buy the event.

13. JOE

November 28, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Nobody likes Babalu?…What???…He shouldn't have held the choke, but he is a talented fighter. Anyway, there was a reason I didn't buy UFC 78. If this turns out to be another one (Main event = Lesnar vs Mir) I wont waste my money. I don't really see that happening though.

14. KOPower

November 28, 2007 at 7:37 pm

I wouldn't worry about that the UFC isnt that stupid. They will get a main event and looking at the card so far, it better be good if they want my money too. I'll just watch it on the internet if its as is. I'll wait and spend my money on a superbowl party.

15. JOE

November 28, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Well said. Me too.

16. dane drebin

December 7, 2007 at 1:31 pm

i like babalu the man beat three fighters in one night with one of the men being shogun… he's legit and i hope they elt him come back