UFC 82: Akihiro Gono Drops Out Of Fight With Fitch

Updated: January 18, 2008

akihiro gono

This is still a rumor, but it looks like Akihiro Gono will not fight Jon Fitch at UFC 82, due to a long standing hand injury

A Post on Akihiro Gono’s personal blog:

I have a pain in my righthand from November(UFC debut fight)

So I could not train enough

I wondered it,Doctor checked my hand again,and This condition was so bad,

Doctor ordered me to stop fight and all training.

And operation is done. maybe in Junuary

I am verry sorry,my fans and John Fitch……..

I will annnounce operation schedule and come back time

1. BRANDON

January 18, 2008 at 8:38 am

Good I'm glad this happened…now maybe they will give Fitch a real fighter instead of this chump…I say Fitch/ Diego 2…i'd pay money for that no doubt about it

2. dane drebin

January 18, 2008 at 9:33 am

i think gonos pretty good actually but i do think fitch would beat him

3. roy

January 18, 2008 at 11:10 am

yeah gonos a good fighter but i don't see him beating fitch, fitch should be fighting for the title or a top 5 guy.

4. Patrick89

January 18, 2008 at 11:20 am

I think Akihiro is a good fighter although his record goes back and forth with possibly the most draws I've seen on a fighters record. He has great ground skills and some good kicks as demonstrated by his fight with Ivan Salaverry, but I do think that Fitch would beat him. All in all I think that it would shape up to be a good fight with Fitch coming out with the win.

5. Joe

January 19, 2008 at 2:14 am

Yeah I think Fitch would have won this fight as well. I'd actually like to see Fitch get a title shot.

6. Patrick89

January 19, 2008 at 4:15 am

I believe he's got a shot at the winner of St. Pierre vs. Serra, so pretty much he's going to fight St. Pierre for the title witch is going to be a great fight to watch. I'll bet on St. Pierre over anybody in the division, but this is possibly going to be his biggest test if the fight ends up happening. I wouldn't be able to stay in my seat and watch it.