UFC 82: Chris Leben vs. Alessio Sakara

Updated: January 28, 2008
chris leben knocked out cold

chris leben

According to ProElite, TUF Alumni Chris Leben will take on Alessio “Legionarius” Sakara March 1 at UFC 82 in Columbus, Ohio. Leben will look to stay in the win column, following his miraculous one punch KO of Terry Martin at UFC Fight Night 11.

Sakara who trains with American Top Team, is coming of a first round TKO win over James Lee at UFC 80.

“Yes, we fight Sakara in Columbus.” said manager T. Jay Thompson when contacted for comment via e-mail.

Thompson, who is also the promoter of the ICON Sport promotion in Hawaii, also added, “Chris has been in training camp for the last four weeks and is excited to test himself against Sakara.”

1. kom34

January 28, 2008 at 5:34 am

I thought Sakara sucked but he looked pretty good in has last fight. I hope Leben gets a KO in this fight.

2. BRANDON

January 28, 2008 at 6:26 am

Leben all the way…and i gotta say this is shaping out to be an unreal card…I can not wait for this event. Although i love Dan Henderson how can Dana as a fair president give a title fight to someone who has only had one fight in the UFC, not even in the same weight class, and lose…? Love this card tho, should be the best night of fighting all year!!

3. Realwun

January 28, 2008 at 6:34 am

He gave it to Henderson because there is nobody else in that division that they think can compete with Anderson Silva. Its half fighting and half marketing. If they gave it to someone else like Okami or McDonald, who is going to want to watch that. Its going to be a good fight trust me. Henderson was undersized against Ramp and still went the distance.

Yeah, there are going to be some great matchups in 82 and 83. I can't wait for those shows. I pick Leben in that matchup too.

4. BRANDON

January 28, 2008 at 7:07 am

Thats a good point…I dont even know who I want to win (Henderson/ Silva) cause i like them both…But i really widh they would give Shogun an opponent already…i think it will most likely be Rashad Evans (or at least thats who I think will be the best matchup)

5. keivon

January 28, 2008 at 8:15 am

I think Anderson Silva is on another level. Maybe if Henderson was younger he could take this fight but I dont see that happening now. Yeah, Shogun and Rashad don't have opponents so that would be a good fight. Liddell says he wants Jardine and Dana will do whatever Chuck asks for.

6. dane drebin

January 28, 2008 at 8:29 am

you are all missing the simplest answer to why they are giving hendo a title shot. BECAUSE HE IS THE CHAMPION! he is the pride champ! durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

its a unification bout! why is that so hard for people to understand?

hendo will take anderson down at will mark my words.

hendos never been knocked out before and i think rampage hits a lot harder than anderson. if anderson wins i will be extremely impressed because dan is a bad matchup for anderson plain and simple

on a side note why is the picture a picture of leben knocked out lol they couldnt find a good one of him?

i hope leben wins by KO he's had some bad breaks in the ufc and has gotten a lot better in my book. He's the master of the foot stomp hahahaha

January 28, 2008 at 8:41 am

damn iwas about to say yall r retart saying why does henderson fight for the belt but thank you Dane from stopping me from doing that.. i think Silva AND Hendo will be a great fight and i agree with Dane with the fight.. Hendo is a great wrestler and will take him down and has a hard ass head even rampage sayed it..but i could also see silva winning so he is not like Rampage Because silva will hit him with knees and pounchs and elbows and he will do it all at the same time so idk its going to be great… i hope leban wins with a other big KO

8. BRANDON

January 28, 2008 at 9:04 am

Actually I like the fight, still question that Henderson has proved it IN THE UFC. So tom u can suck my balls…Silva has the advantage standing up and Henderson has the advantage on the ground, he's gotta stay out of Silva's long legs and aviod a submission, cant even tell whos gonna win but psyched for this event!

9. Robbie

January 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Even if you throw out the titles of UFC and Pride MW champs facing each other, it's still a great fight just because its Dan Henderson vs. Anderson Silva. Who wouldn't want to see that? I think it will definitely be the biggest challenge Silva has had yet. Hendo has also faced Wandy in his prime a couple of times, who also can throw some pretty mean Thai knees, and is much more aggressive and stronger than A. Silva. The only thing I don't think Dan has faced that A.S. has is that kind of striking accuracy. It will be a hell of a fight, can't wait.

10. DanP

January 28, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Sakara drops to middleweight and gets Leben…. Bisping drops to middleweight and gets McCarthy… What The Fucks going on??

Leben will win this one by TKO I reckon..

11. roy

January 30, 2008 at 3:51 am

dan is one of the baddest guys out there he deserves silva no dout. leben vs sakara should be good,sakara is a good striker and ledens got heavey hands and is more well rounded but likes to bang that could be a mistake against sakara i think one of them will be getting knocked out.

12. JOE

January 31, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Silva Henderson is a great match-up. Even though Rampage hit's harder, he's not as pin-point accurate. I think Silva is going to give Hendo his first knockout.