UFC 84: Rich Franklin vs. Travis Lutter Possible

Updated: January 10, 2008
rich franklin

rich franklin

According to a recent report by the FightNetwork, Rich “Ace” Franklin could possibly make a return to fight Travis Lutter April 19 at UFC 84 in Montreal Canada.

Franklin and Lutter were originally scheduled to fight at UFC 82 at the Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio, but Franklin was forced to withdraw with an injury. Franklin underwent MCL surgery and is expecting to be fully ready to fight in April.

1. Morey

January 10, 2008 at 6:03 am

It would be a great fight for both fighters, hope it happens.

2. derek

January 10, 2008 at 6:16 am

exactly what i predicted.

3. roy

January 10, 2008 at 7:21 am

i hope lutter makes weight this time

4. BRANDON

January 10, 2008 at 7:27 am

I think Franklin is overratted…im rooting for Lutter

5. dane drebin

January 10, 2008 at 8:36 am

i like franklin a lot but lutter is pretty freakin good he got anderson in full mount that was impressive but i dont know if lutter could stand with franklin… infact i know he couldnt… he got knocked out by marvin eastmen… if the fight stays standing its franklins

6. dane drebin

January 10, 2008 at 8:37 am

hahaha i wish i could delete that comment i had a brain fart lutter knocked out marvin im a dumbass hahahah my bad dont throw hate my way for that comment but i still think if he couldnt take franklin down he would get ko'd it should be a great fight tho i hope it happens

7. roy

January 10, 2008 at 8:47 am

yeah standing he dosn't have a chance if it goes to the ground he may just beat franklin.

8. dredlokrasta

January 10, 2008 at 9:40 am

Just as long as Rich isn't fighting the spider!

9. BRANDON

January 10, 2008 at 9:44 am

I think Lutter needs to get in a deep clinch with franklin and throw big knees like anderson did, then take him down quickly and unexpectedly and he will win

10. roy

January 10, 2008 at 9:59 am

i don't see lutter winning this fight but who knows.

11. Morey

January 10, 2008 at 10:17 am

I don't think Lutter has a weak chin so if he can stand with Rich enough to position for a takedown, I can see Lutter finishing it on the ground. But Dana doesn't pick comeback opponents for his friends lightly, he must be pretty confident that Rich is going to win the fight.

12. roy

January 10, 2008 at 10:50 am

yeah dana like to feed his boys, but lutter could pull the upset off.

13. BRANDON

January 10, 2008 at 11:19 am

yeah Dana gets to involved with his fighters to pick fights for them…who here wants to see Rich get kncked the fuck out with Lutter sending a Go Fuck Youself message to Dana

14. nöel

January 10, 2008 at 11:23 am

Why is it that some people think that Franklin is a slouch on the ground? While he certainly prefers to stand and strike, he can hold his own on the ground as well.

15. BRANDON

January 10, 2008 at 11:29 am

i just dont think he's that good of a fighter…i believe hes overrated

16. dredlokrasta

January 10, 2008 at 11:54 am

Rich is not the champ!!

17. Kash

January 10, 2008 at 1:58 pm

If Henderson can find a way to beat Silva it will really shake things up and I can see Dana giving Rich another shot at the title.

18. JOE

January 10, 2008 at 6:51 pm

If Hendo beats Silva and Rich gets another shot, he'll lose to Hendo. It's a better match-up for Franklin stylistically. I think it would be a better fight than Franklin vs. Silva, but I don't think Franklin can pull it off.

I'm picking Franklin over Lutter.

19. DanP

January 10, 2008 at 8:53 pm

This is an interesting match up… there has been a lot of debate on this site on whether Franklin is good or great… A win over Lutter (Making weight & in good Shape) will be impressive!

I am surprised that the UFC would put Franklin in against such a good fighter so soon after his 2nd loss to Silva. I expected a couple of fights against lesser opposition.

If this is correct then it annoys me even more how the UFC are protecting Bisping on his move to MW

I think Lutter will win by brutal Ground and Pound! But, Hopefully Franklin will knock 'im oot!

20. Scot

January 11, 2008 at 2:51 am

I completely aggree with you DanP. It doesn't seem like they protect many fighters, but Bisping is one of the few. I think Franklin might actually win this one, he has something to prove, and if nothing else, the man does have drive and determination. I am going with Franlin.

21. roy

January 11, 2008 at 4:41 am

i think franklin will take it but lutter will be dangerous on the ground,somebody mentioned franklins ground game i not saying he dosn't have one but why didn't he use it wiht silva he already knew he couldn't beat him on his feet.

January 11, 2008 at 10:53 am

i hope rich wins but idk this is a good fight and would like to see

23. dane drebin

January 16, 2008 at 5:02 pm

roy… because he couldnt get anderson to the ground… u cant use a ground game if ur getting ur head knocked off and ur takedowns stuffed. rich is very good in bjj but he has had hardly any wrestlin credentials. a ground game and wrestling takedowns are 2 extremely different things

24. Kendu

February 25, 2008 at 3:39 am

If this fight does happen, I just hope that Travis makes weight and comes in shape. Travis was extremely confident during the filming of TUF 4 – The Comeback and stated thathe felt thathe could beat Rich Franklin.

25. Holman

April 15, 2008 at 4:48 am

I can see Franklin trying very hard to keep the fight on their feet. We all know that Rich can hold his own on the ground but its far from the ground skill that Lutter has. Two great fighters with 2 different forte. Can't wait to see them fight.