UFC 85: Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua

Updated: February 6, 2008
maurico shogun rua vs chuck Liddell

maurico shogun rua vs chuck Liddell

Both Chuck Liddell and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua have confirmed though multiple media sources that they will headline UFC 85, June 14 from the O2 Arena in London, England.

Shogun is coming off a submission loss to Forrest Griffin in his UFC debut at UFC 75. Soon after the fight, Shogun had surgery on on long standing knee injury, that he claims was slowing down his training.

Chuck Liddell will looks to continue his winning streak, following his decision win over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 79.

UFC 85 Rumored Card

Chuck Liddell vs. Shogun Rua
Marcus Davis vs. TBA
Brock Lesnar vs. TBA
Brandon Vera vs. TBA

1. JOE

February 5, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Good. It's about time.

2. DanP

February 6, 2008 at 12:03 am

Superb news… About time Chuck fought in the UK!

I'll be going to that one for sure!!

February 6, 2008 at 12:59 am

sounds like a good fight card…i hope chuck knocks him out

4. luke

February 6, 2008 at 2:21 am

im there

5. roy

February 6, 2008 at 3:04 am

the card seems pretty good

6. Nate Fury

February 6, 2008 at 3:17 am

This is the fight that I wanted Chuck to take after he defeated Silva. If he defeats "Shogun", then he will have defeated two opponents with a combine 3 victorys over current UFC Lightheavyweight Champion "Rampage" Jackson. In my oppinion thats more than enough to recieve a title shot in his next fight. It won't be easy though. "Shogun" looked a little overwelmed in his debut against Forrest and that could be because of the new environment. I mean fighting without being able to stomp downed opponents, fighting in a cage, and fighting in front of the American fans, was enough to fluster the then ranked number one fighter in the world.

7. derek

February 6, 2008 at 4:17 am

chucky is in for a big challenge.

8. Brandon

February 6, 2008 at 4:38 am

Shogun is obviously the better, more well rounded fighter which Chuck clearly having an advantage in striking/ sprawling. If chuck wins (which i dont believe he will) he will no doubt be the top contender for a title shot, beating 2 great opponents…If shogun wins he will have to fight Wandi,Keith, or possibly Hendo and beat them to get a title shot in my opinion. So far this is shaping up to be a decent card depending on the opponents of Davis and Lesnar.

9. Kash

February 6, 2008 at 4:42 am

I've got bad new DanP. Chuck is saying he only wants to fight in the US (for his after parties) and is trying to get this UFC moved to Vegas. With Dana being so tight I wouldn't say its out of the question for one fighter to move an event. But hopefully you get to watch him in the UK.

Damn, this is looking pretty good I hope they put some good opponents against Davis and Lesnar.

10. roy

February 6, 2008 at 5:07 am

no offense danp but i hate it when the cards are in europe with the time difference and this is a good one.i think shogun vs liddel will be a hell of a fight i would say shogun will win but its a tough call.

11. RJ

February 6, 2008 at 6:48 am

I agree…watching the event at noon Pacific just isn't as fun…why alienate your largest fan base? I'm all for the UK or other European venues, but keep those shows on SpikeTV of some other "free" cable outlet…

12. DanP

February 6, 2008 at 8:33 pm

In the UK We get All UFC events free on Bravo on the Sunday evening!

13. Realwun

February 7, 2008 at 4:44 am

Thats because of marketing that UFC events are offered free in the UK. They are really trying to expand their markets in other countries and to do that it's got to be free until it catches on. Can you still get the live PPV in the UK?

What I hate is that I can never get to watch the UK PPV's on Saturday night without someone letting me know who won already.

14. DanP

February 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm

The UK events are an a channel called Setanta – which you have to subscribe to for 1 month if you want to see the Saturday night show… it's useually worth it though

The last UK show I watched live on TV was Champion vs Champion at the O2 Arena in London – that was a good one!

I went to Newcastle to see UFC 80 – First Live show – It was brilliant!!

15. Becker

February 8, 2008 at 5:50 am

Im excited for this fight. I do believe chuck will win, and overwhelm Rua.

16. orly

February 9, 2008 at 3:44 pm

dam i'm excited!! I hope chuck takes this one by a knockout and forrest to beat rampage so chuck can fight for the belt!!!

17. derek

February 9, 2008 at 4:20 pm

i think chuck will KO rua. he's been on his A game recently. i mean, chuck has been fighting mediocre competition, and then all of a sudden, fights rampage… so of course, he is going to make a mistake and get caught. and losing to jardine was just despicable. but he trained hard for silva and it showed.

18. Greg

February 17, 2008 at 12:20 pm

I want Cuck to win but i dont see him beating Rua, Rua is probably going to take this a lot more serious especially after coming off a loss like that, but chuck is definately going to be ready, im crossing my fingers

19. KC

February 18, 2008 at 7:24 am

Believe me…when the dust settles it will be Rua's hand that will be raised.

20. Morey

February 18, 2008 at 8:08 am

I can't believe Chuck is disappointed in having this fight. In his latest interview he said he thinks he should get a title shot right now. I hope Shogun is healthy and has a good fight.

21. Andre

February 21, 2008 at 3:25 am

This fight should finally prove that Shoguns loss to Forest Griffin was nothing but a fluke. Shogun will win .

22. Jay

February 21, 2008 at 3:52 am

I think chuck will win this one, although shogun is a great fighter, it seems that a lot of fighters coming from pride and like organizations, find it hard to make the transition to the new set of rules. shoguns success is greatly due to the brutal damage he was able to inflict, now with his limits the playing field is a lot more level.

23. Eddy F.

February 22, 2008 at 10:06 am

Brandon Vera is facing fabricio werdum & the winner getting a shot at the HW title.Thats official from the UFC.

24. roy

February 22, 2008 at 10:52 am

i hope brandon wins this one

25. Ashman1

March 4, 2008 at 7:14 am

With the news that Shogun has had to pull out i rekon that Chuck should either fight Rashad Evans, or Thiago Silva. I think they would be 2 good match ups.

26. roy

March 4, 2008 at 7:44 am

thats horrible news about shogun, i was looking forward to that fight.this type of injury can real affect his career.

27. BRANDON

March 4, 2008 at 7:48 am

how do we know shogun is pulling out?!?!?!?!?!!? If he does im really dissapointed becuase that would have been a great fight and if the injury is with the knee than its extremely serious and his surgery didnt go well

28. Ashman1

March 4, 2008 at 7:57 am

ye i agree. is very bad news. would have loved to have seen this fight. anyone any idea's who could replace shogun?

29. Ashman1

March 4, 2008 at 7:57 am

ufc.com says he has pulled out btw ^^

30. BRANDON

March 4, 2008 at 7:59 am

No one worthy, Boetsch and Hammil in april. Jackson/ Griffin off limits. Rashad/ Thiago Silva in may. Ortiz/ Machida in June. Sokudjou/ random asian guy i cant rember coming up…There is literally no one tfor Lidell to make a half way decent fight…Im so fucking pissed, i was really looking forward to this fight

31. Ashman1

March 4, 2008 at 8:34 am

I know i complety agree. Was well excited about the shogun fight! If Boetsch walks through Hammil in april then he might get it. But he still has alot to prove. Hmmm.

32. Ashman1

March 4, 2008 at 8:38 am

I take that back. Boetsch is not worthy. There is nobody :(

33. andresdbgt

February 23, 2009 at 6:11 pm

i know showgun will open up a 3 leter of woopass on chuck . Yeah chucks been on the ball lately but now look at the fight with rua vs jackson run dominated the crap out of him in reveng of silvas loss damm!:(

rua champion!!!