UFC 85: Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman

Updated: March 12, 2008

thiago tavares
(I had to do it…)

Sherdog is reporting, that lightweight contender Thiago Tavares will take on “The Ultimate Fighter” season 5 veteran Matt Wiman at UFC 85, June 7 from the O2 Arena in London, England.

Thiago Tavares:

“My manager, Alex Davis, just confirmed this fight…I am very happy with the choice of this opponent because he is a tough guy who is coming off three wins in a row, and I think we will make a great fight for the public. I like to face those tougher guys, and I thought this is a great opportunity.”

“I fought there in Liverpool…Submitted my opponent with a guillotine in 2006. I thought this is a great opportunity to go back there and hope to do a great show.”

For the latest UFC 85 rumors and results, check out our FightCard sections.

March 12, 2008 at 1:05 am

its going to be a good fight but i dont see matt winning

2. Kash

March 12, 2008 at 2:57 am

Its hard to say with that pic above but yeah, I think Tavares takes this fight.

3. danedrebin

March 12, 2008 at 4:48 am

matt wiman has been on a tear lately i say he takes it. they had the same opponent recently with that sian dude and tavarez had a super hard time with him while wiman worked him over in dominant fashion

4. kom34

March 12, 2008 at 5:04 am

i agree with you dane that tavares didn't look that good in his last fight. i expected a lot more from him especially how he handled black in their fight. i haven't been keeping up with wiman but it looks like he is ready to step up for this one.

5. Nate Fury

March 12, 2008 at 6:31 am

Tavarez will kill Matt Wiman. They really should have found Tav a better opponent.

6. david johnson

June 7, 2008 at 2:46 pm

your out of your mind tavares is a insufficient contender while wiman will beat penn

7. Onri

June 7, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Tavares is very talented. His performance didn't shock me at all. What shocked me is how good Wiman looked. He sure got a lot better since TUF 4. Tavares is still a contender in my mind, he just got caught.