UFC 89: Thiago Alves vs. Diego Sanchez Likely

Updated: July 2, 2008

MMAWeekly is reporting, that The Ultimate Fighter season 1 winner, Diego “The Nightmare” Sanchez (19-2) will likely take on top UFC welterweight contender Thiago “Pitbull” Alves (15-3) at UFC 89, October 18 from the NEC Arena in Birmingham, England.

According to a source close to the fight, No contract is signed, but a verbal agreement is in palace with contracts expected to be signed in the next few days.

Sanchez if coming off a impressive TKO win over Luigi Fioravanti at TUF 7 Finale this past month. His only blemishes on his young MMA record were to AKA fighters Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch. A win over Alves would again position Sanchez at the top of the 170lb division.

Alves is coming off the most significant win of his career, when he defeated former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes by TKO at last months UFC 85.

1. Deakson

July 2, 2008 at 9:30 am

I like this match up, Diego's wrestling (even though he thinks he's a striker now) against Alves' striking a good jiu-jitsu. I believe a win would no doubt compell Alves to the top contender spot and the next to challenge GSP if (which he will) beat Fitch. Although Diego's last two opponents (Bielkheden & Fivorantii) haven't been top competitors Diego still stands has a very capable fighter, we can not forget his dominance of the welterweight division before his two losses. This would mean Alves has beaten Karo Parysian, Matt Hughes, and Diego, 3 very high profile names in the WW division. I'm interested to see if Diego can still cut it at WW with top competition or if Thiago wins in an impressive fashion to become the # 1 contender

2. roy

July 2, 2008 at 9:34 am

this should be a good fight, if alves wins your right he should be up there for a title shot, if diego wins it should put him back in the top.

3. steve

July 2, 2008 at 10:19 am

I dont see diego having much of a shot against Thiago. Alves is just so much better on the feet and he will I think overpower Diego and Submit him if it goes to the ground. I also think that thiago will be able to control where this fight takes place and that he will prove to be too much for deigo. I dont think Deigo has better wrestling than Alves at all. And it will show when thiago shrugs off takedown attempts from deigo and tkes him down instead.

4. steve

July 2, 2008 at 10:20 am

sorry guys i noticed i spelled diego wrong a couple of times. DIEGO is his name my bad.LOL

5. dane drebin

July 2, 2008 at 10:35 am

thats awesome im so stoked for this fight i hope diego pulls it out. it should be an all out war with thiago winning if diego can't get it to the ground but then again who knows diego's striking has been looking crisp. diego's never been knocked out either so this has fight of the year written all over it.

6. Doumbret

July 2, 2008 at 10:55 am

I Think this is the punishment for Alves for not making the weight against Hugues… Because everyone see huim for a title shot after the GSP ans Fitch fight … But I think Jos Koscheck is more ready than Diego Sanchez (if Koscheck Won is fight) for me the next two fight should be Mike Swick VS Diego Sanchez and Jos Koscheck VS Thiago Alves

7. kom34

July 2, 2008 at 12:58 pm

yeah, alves didn't make weight and got caught taking a banned substance a while back. he needs one more win period. i think this is the best fight they could have made. diego thinks hes the best on the ground and i think alves will be game to take it to the ground.

8. Ryan S

July 2, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I agree with pretty much everyone . I think Alves can beat Sanchez because I could see diego trying to keep it on the feet like he did with Fiorivanti. I never really liked diego either. I have suspicions he is a dirty fighter.

9. Jebo77

July 3, 2008 at 12:49 am

I think Diego will have to much intensty for Alves. Alves has to cut alot of weight to make this fight and lets not forget he has a little trouble doing that. He has to show this fight that he can make title weight or Dana probably will make him fight someone else before getting his shot.

10. steve

July 3, 2008 at 1:14 am

The only reason he missed weight was b/c of a sprained ankle and he told the UFC that there was a chance he wasn't going to make weight. It is not going to be a problem for him this time. Yeah its tough but when you fight for a living you are use to cutting the weight. I think diego just tries to get in his opponents head and puts on a front like hes crazy. If he had intensity he would have pushed the pace against Kos. Alves I feel is better in every apsect.

July 3, 2008 at 2:51 am

i hope diego wins but idk alves just beat matt and karo and is good off his back and is a good striker and strong but idk its going to be a good fight

12. javier

July 3, 2008 at 2:56 am

diego by gnp . thiago has no cardio compare to diego by the time diego is warm up thiago will be exahusted

13. Rudy

July 3, 2008 at 3:24 am

Diego deserves to be next in line for a title shot at welterweight out of everyone in that division.

If Matt Sarra did @ 15 – 4 why not Diego when he was 19 – 0, Now he is 21-2. Fitch just beat Diego by a bit and Thiago Alves was TKO by him.

Thiago Alves got respect because he beat Hughes; he was 190 pounds for sure in that fight.

Will Diego beat GSP, I don’t think so.

Let’s see how GSP does against Fitch,

Diego is bigger & stronger now then before his fight with Fitch; a title shot he does deserve.

Alves VS Diego sounds right.

Diego wins by submission just like when Fisher submitted Alves

14. Doumbret

July 3, 2008 at 9:18 am

Diego doesn't earn a title shot right … who he beat after is two BIG lost ? A No Name and Luigi… So … Alves Defeat two of the Top 5 guys Karo Parysian And Matt Hugues… Alves Deserve a Title shot … not now but after is next fight.

Rudy… Not because Fitch beat Alves, Alves will lose against Sanchez… I think Alves is a most better Opponent for a GSP/Fitch fight than a Sanchez..

15. roy

July 3, 2008 at 9:26 am

i agree a win will move sanchez back up the ladder but not a title shot, maybe avles with a win would be there.

16. steve

July 3, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Bringing up who beat who really doesnt matter when it was years ago like the Alves vs Fisher fight. Alves is much better now and would kill the King. They arent even in the same weight class anymore lol. And Fitch didnt beat diego by a bit but he beat him by A LOT. Like the whole entire 15 minutes lol. Diego hasnt beat anyone to deserve a title shot and one win now shouldnt cahnge that. Maybe if he beat a top contender after this fight then could get a shot. Maybe Kos vs Diego if diego does pull this fight off.

17. Mad

July 4, 2008 at 12:33 am

I think Diego will train very, very, very, very hard for this fight and Alves will get caught, Alves has no heart.

He was juice up in last fight, plus over weight.

Alves is a cheater.

18. Ryan S

July 4, 2008 at 1:38 am

Mad, what was the substance Alves had in him? And did he admit to knowing what he was doing? Remember, the same shit happened to sherk. When it happened to him, everyone said it was an accident. He accidently took a banned substance that was in an unbanned supplement?

19. mad

July 4, 2008 at 4:22 am

ur right i over said it; he was not doing the juice but he was way bigger then 174, I would say the man was about 183 or something like that.

He looked so massive, not normal.

Looked fishy to me.

I new he would win that fight , over Matt Hughes it was very clear.

20. Doumbret

July 4, 2008 at 7:39 am

Mad… Alves is a big guys for the 170lbs division… and I don't think He can gain 10 pound in 24 hours …

21. MMA Roots

July 4, 2008 at 9:09 am

Alves is a big 170lbs, very massive in his last fight;

He looked much bigger then 174lbs, I would agree with mad on that much. (He should have been 170 lbs) 4+ ??

This fight should be good, someone is going night night.

22. dane drebin

July 14, 2008 at 3:28 pm

doumbret- ive lost 11 pounds in 1 wrestling practice, granted some people dont sweat as much as other and i sweat a lot but u could put on 10 pounds after weighing. come fight time 10 pounds would be a legit estimate to how muhc he put on

23. roy

July 15, 2008 at 1:52 am

gaining 10 lbs after weighing in is pretty standard

24. AB

July 15, 2008 at 2:21 am

The Sanchez v Alves fight hasn't been confirmed has it? Would be a good fight and will happen at some point for sure.

For what its worth, I think people are ruling fitch out way too quickly against gsp. that's got fight of the year written all over it.

As for making weight, I walk around at about 195lbs and fight at 170. cutting the weight is easy when you know how and like dane says above, you can lose several pounds in a single workout. Fitch by decision (controversial!!)

July 15, 2008 at 2:24 am

i lose like 3 to 5 pound when i work out

26. Rogelio

October 17, 2008 at 6:47 am

Hey guys do any of u know when the fight is going to happen and where (spike tv, or PPV)

27. Rogelio

October 17, 2008 at 6:49 am

i didnt give my email .. email me at

everett.olvera@yahoo.com

this is my friends email

28. Rogelio

October 17, 2008 at 6:49 am

alves is gonna fuck um up fu!

baddass fight