UFC 91 Press Conference: Winner of Florian vs. Stevenson Will Get Shot at BJ Penn’s LW Title

Updated: November 14, 2008

A interesting quote from UFC President Dana White came out of the UFC 91 Press Conference, he announced that the winner of Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson will get a chance at BJ Penn’s lightweight title after he take on GSP for the UFC welterweight title in January.

“This fight is going to be amazing, and the winner of this fight will face B.J. Penn for the lightweight title after B.J. fights Georges St. Pierre,”

White also revealed on an interview with ESPN’s MMA Live that he is not apposed to promoting the much anticipated female matchup between Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg.

“I wouldn’t be opposed to it,” White responded when asked by Anik about promoting Carano vs. Cyborg. “And if I did do it, I’d probably do it in the WEC.”

This is interesting because Dana White has been a very vocal opponent to female MMA, swearing it would never happen in the UFC.

1. Nate Fury

November 14, 2008 at 7:52 am

Why would Stevenson get another shot this soon? I can see Florian, if he wins. If Stevenson wins, he should fight Sherk.

2. roy

November 14, 2008 at 9:09 am

i think he joe wins he will not get the shot but have to fight sherk and the winner gets the ramatch but if kenny wins than yeah he gets the title shot.

3. zalbag

November 14, 2008 at 11:26 am

I think the carano fight is a perfect fit for the wec. Dana can try it out on a lesser cable network. If it gets decent ratings then maybe it gets a shot at a bigger stage if not then they did'nt put to many resources into it.

does anyone think Joe Daddy wins this fight ?

I don't but im convinced it goes to a decision.

4. STEVEO

November 14, 2008 at 1:05 pm

ken flo crushes daddy an embarrasing decision

5. Ryan S

November 14, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I wouldn't call any decision a crushing. I think Stevenson will win it.

6. dane drebin

November 14, 2008 at 4:22 pm

i really dont want to see stevenson vs penn again let alone if he wins this fight. im with nate fury all the way he should have to fight sherk and i dont think he would beat sherk to be honest. i like him a lot but i hope florian beats him because that will be a way more interesting matchup. if stevenson does get a title shot i really hope its not the main event.

i think gina vs cyborg would be perfect in the wec dana should go with it

7. Ryan S

November 14, 2008 at 11:41 pm

fuck it, have Stevenson fight Sherk. I think you're right, he should have to. I just think it could be a different fight between Stevenson and Penn the second time through.