UFC 96: Rashad Evans vs Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson Likely

Updated: January 14, 2009

ufc-92-rashad-vs-forrest

A UFC light heavyweight title fight between Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is in the works for the main event at UFC 96 on March 7 from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, according to MMAMania.

Rampage got the ball rolling by calling out Rashad shortly after knocking out Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92 “The Ultimate”.

For the latest on UFC 96, check out our UFC Rumors section.

1. PoppyNick

January 14, 2009 at 7:44 am

If this happens……..WHIP HIS FUCKING ASS RAMPAGE:)

2. richaaron

January 14, 2009 at 7:57 am

Damn, I thought they would let the winner of Machida vs. Silva get a shot at the title first. Dana must not like Rashad as much as I thought…

3. Luke

January 14, 2009 at 8:16 am

I believe this will be Rashad's first defeat. He is not strong enough to take Rampage down and keep him there and he is not good enough on the feet to stay out of trouble too long.

Rampage by early KO.

4. derek

January 14, 2009 at 8:17 am

rampage will stalk rashad down. rashad is fast with those hands, but rampage packs a lot of heat. look what he did to lidell and wanderlei.

5. zalbag

January 14, 2009 at 8:20 am

Man I really really want rampage to win. However greg jackson will put together a good game plan plus rashad moves better than rampage I'm afraid rashad might take this one. I think the person with the best shot against rashad is the obvious machida.

6. PoppyNick

January 14, 2009 at 8:43 am

You are right about Greg Jackson…he's like Yoda and is a master at coming up with the right game plan. I just want to see Rashad sleeping on the canvas……i can only imagine the smile on my face if that happens.

7. T.R.

January 14, 2009 at 8:44 am

i can't wait to watch this fight but i do think that machida deserves the next title fight with rashad if he wins against silva

8. roy

January 14, 2009 at 8:49 am

i used to not think rashad was that good but i think he can do well vs rampage, i think he is faster hits almost as hard i would say rampage hits harder but does it matter he hits hard enough he is a more schooled wrestler than rampage but rampage is probally stronger.i think rampage will win but i give rashad a good chance and think it will be a tough fight.

9. whodini

January 14, 2009 at 9:43 am

i'm like the rest of ya'll as long as we get to see Evans hit the mat .. hopefully this time it will happen..if it doesn't i just dont know what im gonna do … become an Rasheed fan ? NOT !!!

10. steve

January 14, 2009 at 10:39 am

Rashad like Luke said isnt strong enough to even take rampage down. Not even close. Randleman couldnt take Rampage down. Thats saying something. Rashad was losing the stand up against forrest and really only did well in the ground and pound. Rahad canhit hard but like Rampage? I dont think so and I really dont think he can take near as much as rampage can if were talking about standing and banging. Which the fight will have its moments where they r just swinging for eachother. Rampage will conect and it will be over. Rashad cant dance and taunt rampage like he can his other opponents.

11. Luke

January 14, 2009 at 11:27 am

My point excatly steve. When this fight was rumored i thought about the Rampage-Randleman fight in PRIDE. Randleman is a lot stronger than Rashad and he had no luck trying to take Rampage down.

I agree that Greg Jackson will come up with a great game plan for Rashad as he does with all his guys but as the saying goes 'everyone has a plan…..until they get hit' and aint nobody in the light heavyweight division that hits harder than Rampage Jackson.

Rashad will have no choice but to keep it standing and that will more than likely be a bad move for Rashad.

I cant wait for Rashad to get his 1st loss and for Rampage to take back what is rightfully his… the UFC Light Heavyweight Title.

12. dane drebin

January 14, 2009 at 12:53 pm

i think rampage will win too and i hope he does i really dont like rashad. it will be a competitive match tho rashad is undefeated for a reason and has beat some really good guys. i think rampage has a better chance taking down rashad then rashad does taking down rampage. this will be a slugfest no doubt and both men love to strike. rashad can end the fight at any time tho just as fast as rampage so anything can happen. dont be so sure rampage will destroy him. when u have two power punchers with great chins u know its gunna be a great fight. can't wait!

13. sy

January 14, 2009 at 10:40 pm

i think that would be a good match up but at the end of the day i think who ever wins (if the fight happens) is just gonna be holding the belt for machida i dont think rashard or rampage could beat him, granted it would probably be a boring fight but the same goes for silva i think they should be fighting for the belt

14. Tim

January 15, 2009 at 1:27 am

Rampgae wins…i dont like Rashad at all, i hope this fights happens i have been calling for it since their last fights. Should be a good fight.

15. Shogun of Harlem

January 15, 2009 at 4:28 am

i would love to see rampage beatup on Rashad Evans. It would be a good fight to watch most definitely.

16. The Biz

January 15, 2009 at 4:41 am

I'm ready for some black-on-black crime!

17. fedor24

January 15, 2009 at 8:44 am

I am so glad I bought tickets for this event early!! I would love to see Rampage dismantle Rashad the same way he did randleman in Pride. Unfortunatley Rashad has a far superior standup game compared to Randleman. You can't take down a guy like Rampage without striking with him to set it up. Kevin just went for takedowns and got kneed up. Rashad can win this fight. I hope not. Rampage wins by 1st round tko….

18. steve

January 15, 2009 at 10:08 am

Randleman never set up his takedowns with anyone. He just bullrushes and shoots in and takes u down. Rashad like may ppl have done with rampage will try and stand and take him down but iw wont work. Rampage has superb takedown defense and I just dont see him having the power to KO Rampage at all. He may be able to KO chuck because chuck leaves himself wide open and just reall looks lazy with punches and keeps his hands below his waist. Rampage keeps his hands up at all times and no way will rashad beat him standing.

19. dane drebin

January 15, 2009 at 11:06 am

theres no such thing as NO WAY in mma

20. fedor24

January 15, 2009 at 11:21 am

I agree dane. Rashad could pull this off.

21. Jake

January 15, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Rashad by whatever he wants. Better stand-up , better wrestling, better coaches. Just less nutthuggers.

22. David

January 16, 2009 at 11:14 am

I don't wanna say I hate Rashad, I just don't like him. I don't like how he disrespects and showboats inside the octagon. Sure he says it's all fun and maybe the other fighters don't mind but what's the point of grabbing your crotch after getting hit? With that said, I hope Rampage knocks him out but I see Rashad winning by unanimous decision. If Rampage loses, I'll be devastated…until I hear the announcement of Machida taking on Rashad. Machida should be getting a title shot after he beats Silva but a lot of people don't like his style. I on the other hand, love it. If Machida is able to knockout Silva in impressive fashion, we may see Machida get the title shot but who knows. For all of those who want to see Rashad lose, Machida may be our only hope. Well not only hope but the fastest hope?

23. Rubs

January 16, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Rampage for me! i agree with David.. He's showboating too much.. i don't hate him.. It's just getting annoying.. Rampage has a tough chin.. Stronger hands.. He's got way better especially with his counter-punching skills(which i believe rampage is the best in). As for Lyoto-Thiago.. Lyoto's gonna win.. I mean.. He's a freakin ninja!! how can you hit a ninja!!?? :))

24. Nath

March 7, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Wrestling, speed and athletism goes to Rashad

Strength goes to Rampage

Effectively close to equal in striking (Rampage bit better with hands, Rashad significantly better with kicks, both roughly equal with knees/elbows).

Jujitsu edge goes to Rashad.

Training camp goes to Rashad.

Heart/Psychological fortitude….neither of these guys are quitters.

Guys, I like both these fighters equally (for different reasons), but I am surprised how many are thinking Rampage has the advantage here. The math clearly shows Rashad having an edge over Rampage in this upcoming fight.

Of course, odds are only odds.

25. Josh

March 25, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I like 99% of the MMA community don't like Rashad. I think he is a very good fighter but don't like him for a second. I think that the fight with Machida is pretty even. Hopefully the ninja doesn't get hit.

26. Nath

April 7, 2009 at 7:19 am

Well, I still don't quite get why people don't like Rashad..the guy is a great fighter who rises to each challenge.

Kind of neat actually how he trains so hard that he gets just good enough to win against the next deadlier fighter. I respect how much he's improved since TUF2.

The guy is also educated and a sharp dresser.

Now, I find his smack talk a bit 'forced'…he really doesn't really convince me that he has the attitude to talk smack.

Still, that isn't enough of a reason to hate him. Or do you guys just mildly dislike him?

Anyway, if he can again increase in skill enough to beat ninja, I hope the MMA community will give him his props.

27. slick-rick

June 14, 2009 at 2:25 am

whens this fight gena happen?

28. questionz

June 14, 2009 at 2:27 am

whens this fight gena happen?