UFC 97 Pic: Anderson Silva Backdoor Leg Kicks Thales Leites

Updated: April 19, 2009
anderson-silva-backdoor-leg-kick

anderson-silva-backdoor-leg-kick

Anderson “The Spider” Silva displays another amazing skill inside the cage at UFC 97.

1. Andre

April 19, 2009 at 1:33 am

Pretty Impressive but not the best Pound for Pound , you could leave that titlte for Fedor who would destroy Silva and his antics, i mean doing all this clowning around in a title defence was pathetic the guy is good but to arogant.

2. Dave

April 19, 2009 at 2:08 am

Well said Andre. It's interesting to see a unique move but it's not like it did or will do enough damage to have effect on the ultimate outcome of the fight. I haven't seen Silva fight livew for a while and I was unimpressed considering how much he has been touted in the last year or so. Typical UFC marketing. A lot of talk but not worth the 54.95 I paid for the HD PPV.

3. derek

April 19, 2009 at 3:45 am

amazing but ABSOLUTELY USELESS MOVE. i rather see anderson be more active and show why he is #1 P4P and better than fedor than for this bullshit. i don't think FEDOR has ever put on such a laid back performace as last night.

4. Kash

April 19, 2009 at 4:09 am

I bet that move is pretty useful on the soccer field but its not going to do any damage in a cage. So much for Leites that fight was really disappointing. Anderson needs to fight Wandi or GSP next.

5. dane drebin

April 19, 2009 at 5:26 am

that move was stupid

6. richaaron

April 19, 2009 at 6:30 am

It's obvious that "The train has already left the station". Silva is just running down the fights that are left on his contract so he can go and get into boxing. I am extremely pissed off at the fact that I spent 55$ for that BS last night. I've been a fan of MMA since the beginning. I've pretty much seen all the events. I can't ever remember seing that kind of performance from a champion. Horrible. Just horrible…

7. derek

April 19, 2009 at 7:39 am

they both played patty cake for 5 rounds and apparently anderson silva baked one faster than leites. i still wouldnt eat it though

8. CJ

April 19, 2009 at 8:41 am

I will never pay for another Anderson Silva PPV. I'm sure I can catch all the boring action the next day on websites like these.

9. Glenn

April 19, 2009 at 9:18 am

Don't blame Anderson. He was toying around because he was trying to shame Leites into engaging. It was evident that thailes was only looking to get a lucky sub. After getting tagged a few times by Anderson he just wouldn't engage. Though Anderson knew the fight would be crap he wasn't about to rush in and do something foolish and give Leites a lucky chance for nothing. He was going to reward him for not fighting back. It seems the Leites camp stratgey was to hope Anderson got self conscious about the people booing, got reckless and did something that Leites could capitalize on for a lucky submission. Anderson wasn't playing that game so his basically disgraced Leites by doing all those meaningless attacks. Did you see at one point he punched his foot while Leites layed on his back…lol

10. Ryan S

April 19, 2009 at 9:43 am

Dude, Silva was just as much to blame. His bullshit wasn't working, he should have just tried to end the fight. He tried a few times, and Leites did a good job of surviving, but seriously, there were so many times where he could have ended it.

11. charlie

April 19, 2009 at 10:27 am

i have vowed to stop paying for ufc ppv events with mediocre headliners that should be on free tv – such as a.silva vs. t.leites and q.jackson vs. k.jardine…(please!)

12. derek

April 19, 2009 at 10:30 am

i think it's time we give anderson a real chance. come on, leites did not deserve that title shot. we all know others were more deserving of it. like yushin okami could drop down and fight anderson. wanderlei could come fight since he's now at 185. luis cane, IMHO, is even worthy.

13. Businessman

April 19, 2009 at 10:46 am

I do think Silva was not into the fight but it is also due to him being bored. I do blame him but at the same time I don't. I think they are going to match him up with GSP. Wanderlei is pretty much just as done as the Iceman. He would not give Da Spider any type of fight. Wanderlei would be knocked out quick. He is too aggresive, keeps coming forward, does not have good defense and just tries to slug it out -he'll get crushed at this point in his career. I am relieved that Machida and Silva are such good friends and wont fight each other because as elusive as they both are, that would be the most boring fight ever. I don't know if he is ready yet…but it would be interesting to see Maia fight Anderson. Maia's BJJ is way better than Leites.

14. Miko

April 19, 2009 at 11:49 am

Glenn is exactly right. anyone who thinks Anderson should take a stupid risk clearly doesn't understand what they're watching.

Derek, Okami doesn't have to drop down, hes already in that weight class.

15. T.R.

April 19, 2009 at 12:12 pm

i agree with miko and glen. I also think that anderson will beat anyone at 185. If the ufc wants to make things more intersesting with anderson then it is time for super-fights. When henderson beats bisbing then I would like to see a rematch. And after that maybe gsp at a catch weight. And then a couple of 205 fights with sum sluggers like rampage and shogun. THis will be the only way in my opinion to make things excting with the spider. He's just too good for his weight class.

I also think from now on they will probably put the spider on co-main events. After last night he will not carry a ppv by himself. Right or wrong it just won't happen.

16. Miko

April 19, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Heh, T.R. did you see Dana at the post fight press conference?

hahaha I don't think Anderson will ever main event again either.

17. T.R.

April 19, 2009 at 3:00 pm

i did see it on cage potatoe. dana was pissed. lol. but he still found time to say that fedor sucks. it was also interesting to see how pissed lidell got when the reporters gave anderson a hard time. i didn't know they were buds.