UFC 98 Main Event Off, Frank Mir Injured

By
Updated: March 6, 2009

mir-lesnar-ufc-81

UFC 98 Headliner Frank Mir has been forced out of his highly anticipated rematch with Brock Lesnar due to a knee injury he suffered in training. Mir has already had surgery on his knee and is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.

It is unclear at this time if the UFC will find a replacement for Mir or just scrap the fight altogether and find a replacement for the main event.

A big hit for the UFC, who earlier in the week announce the event on their website.

For the latest on UFC 98, check out our UFC Rumors section.

27 Comments

  1. Ryan S

    March 6, 2009 at 10:35 am

    They should just replace Mir. I want to see Brock defend his title against some top level opponents. Other than maybe Gonzaga though, I can't think of who else might be in line.

  2. Nate Fury

    March 6, 2009 at 11:22 am

    I think they should bring in Junior Dos Santos or Chieck Kongo to fight Brock for the title. They would have to pull Kongo from his UFC 97 fight with Antoni Hardonk to do so, but it would be an option. Dos Santos last fought at the end of Feb., so he may have enough time to train for a fight with Lesnar.

  3. Dave

    March 6, 2009 at 12:03 pm

    Another disappointing page in the dull UFC heavyweight story. Dana White needs to suck up his pride get Fedor…enough said.

  4. Dave

    March 6, 2009 at 12:05 pm

    Dana White needs to suck up his pride AND get Fedor…enough said…for real this time.

  5. Miko

    March 6, 2009 at 12:22 pm

    Dave, it's not about Pride man. It's Business.

    Fedor's people wanted Dana to build an arena in Russia and co-promote with M-1.

    That's not sucking up your pride, that's just stupid.

    Plus we all know he has a meeting with Fedor IN PERSON this time in the summer for obvious reasons.

    But even if he gets Fedor then what? Let him clean out mediocre division?

  6. GraytOne

    March 6, 2009 at 1:30 pm

    Brock isn't ready for FEDOR

  7. Geoff

    March 6, 2009 at 2:14 pm

    F********CK!

  8. Geoff

    March 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm

    I have to agree Brock isn't ready for Fedor.

  9. derek

    March 6, 2009 at 2:18 pm

    brock must be relieved.

  10. Karlo

    March 6, 2009 at 2:30 pm

    Damn, I was looking forward to see how Lesnar was going to approach Mir this time.

    Title shot for Congo maybe???

  11. steve

    March 6, 2009 at 3:34 pm

    Well I hope they give Lesnar an opponent to fill in for Mir but I dont see them doing it. Im really not caring too much about seeing this fight anyways so they can wait as long as they want. I just really dont have too much respect for lesnar or mir when it comes to being a well rounded badass. Mir has subs and lesnar has size which he got from roids.

  12. STEVEO

    March 6, 2009 at 4:16 pm

    It almost has to be Kongo. Other than that there really isnt anyone in the division worth getting a shot right now other than the winner of carwin gonzo and the will not likey be ready to fight lesnar on what 6, 8 weeks. Kongo or scrap it I say.

  13. dane drebin

    March 6, 2009 at 9:57 pm

    i bet you nog would be happy to fill in for mir just like bj filled in for gsp to fight hughes

  14. kom34

    March 7, 2009 at 12:44 am

    good point dane i think they might just do that and let nog fight lesnar. other than that its got to be kongo or the winner of carwin/gonzaga.

  15. Karlo

    March 7, 2009 at 1:27 am

    If the rumors from UFC 101 are true then I doubt Nog will take this fight, thats an event that you KNOW its going to be sold out in a week or two after being announced. Kongo is the one who deserves a title shot at this point either way I think after the Mir/Lesnar fight Kongo still was next in line to get his tilte shot.

  16. tom

    March 7, 2009 at 3:07 am

    Mir is a pussy anf got Scaryed to fight brock..

    i dont think theyw ill bring anyone in to fight brock..

    If the winner of the comain event Doeasnt get hurt they will put him in..

  17. yc

    March 7, 2009 at 3:29 am

    i dont think kongo would of got the title shot i think they would of put him against the winner of carwin/gonsaga fight then the winner of that fight would of got the title shot, now everything is messed up so who knows what ther gonna do.

  18. jimmy

    March 7, 2009 at 3:32 am

    I say cancel gaberial gonzaga put congo in his place and throw gabriel gonzaga in with brock that will be much better of a match up gab can stand up and fight on the ground and he will also bring a helluva leg kick to the fight.

    kongo is an alright choice but he gases real quick and i dont see him beating brock but gab would be more of a challange for him and give brock better street cred. in my book.

    Thats just my opinion though. I dont think frank is a pussy he has always had a knee injury and if it got hurt than why take a fight where you need to be 100% or close to it. that would be dumb and we all already had the conversation on knee injurys.

  19. jimmy

    March 7, 2009 at 3:35 am

    If nog does fight lesnar boy i dont think brock has what it takes to pull that one off nog is a beast and has fought all of the best, and if that is the case brock better not get exicted and rush this guy he has alot of experiance. I already know what all the lesnar fans are gonna say brock is gonna run through him blah blah blah blah

  20. dane drebin

    March 7, 2009 at 6:49 am

    if the nog that faught mir showed up to fight brock he would get destroyed.

  21. whodini

    March 7, 2009 at 7:38 am

    it says on yahoo that the fight id still on

  22. jimmy

    March 7, 2009 at 10:15 am

    i agree with you on that dane, but ive never seen mir fight like that before so maybe that was a one time thing who knows.

  23. Tim

    March 8, 2009 at 10:14 am

    UFC moves Lesnar-Mir to UFC 100

  24. Al

    March 8, 2009 at 11:56 am

    Yeaa so im feeling a conspiracy here…i know dana wants 100 to be big and why not postpone the two big guys by saying one has an injury to light up that card even more…

  25. jimmy

    March 8, 2009 at 12:23 pm

    damn the way shane carwin looks brock better keep that chin tucked in

  26. jimmy

    March 8, 2009 at 12:24 pm

    he even has bigger hands than brock

  27. dane drebin

    March 8, 2009 at 1:26 pm

    i agree with you jimmy a brock vs carwin fight could be something to see.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


eight − 8 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Read previous post:
Andrei Arlovski 360: On The Road To Reckoning Episode 2 Video
Andrei Arlovski 360: On The Road To Reckoning Episode 2 Video

The second part of Andrei Arlovski 360 to hype the January 24 fight against Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction 2 "Day...

Close