UFC 98: Rashad Evans vs Lyoto Machida

lyoto-machida

lyoto-machida

After all the trash talking between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans at UFC 96, it looks like Rampage will have to sit this one out and let number one contender Lyoto Michida have his shot at the UFC light heavyweight title. According to the Sun, Rampage’s injuries (hand and jaw) will prevent him from fighting for the title at UFC 98. The report also states that Ramage will become the number one contender and face the winner of Evans/Machida later this year.

Rashad Evans on fighting Lyoto Michida

“The kid’s been phenomenal. He’s been better than phenomenal. He’s been looking better every fight … But that’s the fight business. That’s the fun part – the fact that you go in there with an opponent who sometimes seems insurmountable but then you figure it out and that makes the victory that much sweeter.”

“With that said, there may be some kinks in Lyoto’s armour that I have yet to see that I can exploit when I look at the tapes more closely … He’s been looking slicker than I don’t know what, but everybody has a weakness even if you do look slick as oil. Everyone has a weakness.”

For the latest on UFC 98, check out our UFC Rumors section.

1. roy

March 11, 2009 at 1:53 am

sweet, i think this will be a great fight and machida deserved it and i think he will win.

2. Luke

March 11, 2009 at 2:06 am

Machida all the way. I undersand Rashad is an excellent fighter but i just hate the guy. I was really looking forward to some black on black crime but….. i gues you cant have it all.

Machida is unlike any other fighter, i had the pleasure of seeing him fight live when he fought David Heath in Manchester and i was amazed how he goes from relaxed on the outside throwing jabs, to all out aggresion and landing like 10 knees in 5 seconds. Such a joy to watch someone as talented as that guy, who knows when you will ever see that unique style in MMA again.

3. Nate Fury

March 11, 2009 at 2:17 am

It's great to see a much deserved Lyoto machida get his title shot. I am really excited to see this fight of unbeatens. Someone's 0 must go in this much anticipated showdown. My bets on machida, he has waited along time for this opportunity and I know he will take full advantage and will not dissapoint.

4. Nate Fury

March 11, 2009 at 2:22 am

It's great to see Lyoto Machida finally get his day in the sun. He has waited a long time for this opportunity, to prove he is the best LHW in the world and I think he will do just that. Lyoto is very hungry and will take full advantage of this opportunity. I am really excited to see this battle of the unbeatens for the title and it should be a great fight. My bet is on Machida though, he is the hungrier fighter and is out to prove not only he is the best, but that he is also an exciting fighter as well. I think Machida will finish this fight, because he knows he needs to.

5. Luke

March 11, 2009 at 3:09 am

I have always thought of Machida as an exciting fighter. I suppose it's personal preference on what is considered exciting. Exciting to me in MMA is a fighter with well rounded skills who can finish fights by KO or submission and a guy that can show you something you have not seen before and that describes Machida in a nutshell, not only does he do things you have not seen before but will more than likely never see again.

Rashad has great skills and devastating power but that's nothing that Machida hasn't seen before, as for Rashad he has never fought anyone like Machida and i think that will be his downfall, how do you prepare for someone like that?

Jackson's team are brilliant at coming up with game plans but im not sure they know how to approach this one.

Machida by decision!

6. PoppyNick

March 11, 2009 at 3:20 am

Even though I wanted to see Q take Evan's head off his shoulders Machida is the fighter who deserves the title shot first. I don't know that we will see Rampage/Evans because Machida is going to whip Evans ass and I hope it is Ultimate KO 7 material with Evans sleeping with his thumb in his mouth. Well deserved from a Machida and IMO the next 205 pound champ.

7. rory

March 11, 2009 at 3:29 am

i cud see rampage beating evans but i realli cnt see anyone beating machida for a while,maybe a sick wrestler wid slick submissions but cnt see any1 finishing him off

8. David

March 11, 2009 at 4:01 am

I agree with all of you guys. Although I'm a fan of many fighters, Machida is in my top 3 (BJ and Wanderlei suffered devastating losses) so he is my only hope. I feel that Rashad will be a tougher fight for Machida than Rampage because of Rashad's technical abilities. I've been waiting a long time to see Machida finally getting his shot. If he becomes the champ, no fighter will be able to dodge him then!

I do feel that Rampage has made a wise decision in not rushing into a title shot. It's really his one shot to get the belt back and why not properly rest and train for the fight and let the other top contender fight the champ and rampage take the winner? Otherwise, he may had to fight both and that would be a tough journey.

9. Jude

March 11, 2009 at 4:01 am

I think Rashad would have kicked Rampages ass. I like the guy & love to see him fight, he's smart & waits for his shots. Now as far as Machida & Evans goes, this will be the one that takes Rashad. He's also a smart fighter & has tons of talent. Rashad can study his fights all he wants because when he get's in the cage it's going to be all together different story. Machida has moves he hasn't even used yet. Reminds me of Spider Silva, they don't come around that often, the talent these guys have. Wow!

Can't wait to see this one.

10. dane drebin

March 11, 2009 at 4:02 am

you're right rashad everyone has weaknesses and you have a lot more than machida does.

11. Alex

March 11, 2009 at 5:02 am

I want to see this fight better anyway. Machida is going to become the champ.

12. roy

March 11, 2009 at 5:07 am

i have thought for a long time know that it will be close to impossible for anyone in the lhw devision to hold the belt for long its just to deep and most guys would go back and forth with wins and loses, i think machida may be the only one that can hold the belt for awhile but will see . i think things are going to get real good i love this match up and with the winner fighting rampage than you got so many other guys waiting in line there won't be any easy fights shit almost every fight for the lhw belt will be a blockbuster.

13. Chef

March 11, 2009 at 6:28 am

Machida deserves it.

Machida will win.

14. Al

March 11, 2009 at 6:33 am

Love this division. love machida. hate rashad. Makes for a great saturday night on may 23rd!

15. Tim

March 11, 2009 at 7:50 am

Go Machida i hate Rashad and if Rashad wins Rmapage will destroy him. i am looking forward to a Machida vs Rampage fight.

16. Kash

March 11, 2009 at 8:14 am

I like Rashad and like Machida. But I think Machida is too tough to beat. What footage can Rashad watch that shows any weaknesses of Machida. None that I've seen lately. Rashad has lost some rounds in his past few fights so thats all Machida needs to exploit his weaknesses.

17. Luke

March 11, 2009 at 9:34 am

You cant study Machida he will come out and do something totally different to his last fight. No performance has been the same. Rashad has some good skills but is pretty much a generic fighter.

18. Ryan S

March 11, 2009 at 10:14 am

I really like Rashad's attitude on this. I think these two will put on a great fight and someone's undefeated streak will end.

19. skyler

March 11, 2009 at 11:07 am

I think that this is a very good fight. Machida dose deserve the title fight so i'm glad he got it.

but saying that i think rashard will win, i think he will put machida on his back. but if he cant get machida down then hes in trouble and probably will loose

20. steve

March 11, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Forrest was outsrking Evans with out any problems until he got caught so I see no reason why Machida cant outstrike Evans with his stick and move style either. Rashad can catch him for sure bcause he is very quick. Rashad has been outstruck in the first round in the chuck fight and forrest but look what happened in those. I think the later it goes the better Rashads chances are. I also want to see if rashad can take Machida down if he is getting outstruck. Tito outwrestled Evans and Tito was getting thrown and around by Machida. Makes me wonder.

March 11, 2009 at 2:42 pm

this sucks..i guess go evans

22. TAZKE

March 11, 2009 at 7:56 pm

This is great!! Machida is my favorite fighter. I know a lot of people think his fights are boring but while everyone else is playing checkers he is playing chess. He is the most tactical savy fighter in MMA. Not to concerned with him getting out wrestled, if Evans does get him down we may get to see some good BJJ from Machida. STICK TO THE PLAN.

23. STEVEO

March 12, 2009 at 1:49 am

I can't believe rampage didn't take the fight because I think its the better fight for him AND rashad. No way either of these guys beats the dragon, kiss the belt goodbye crotch grab mcgee. I would imagine that we may be looking at a long title reign as well.

24. sy

March 12, 2009 at 2:13 am

its not rampage's fault he's having surgary on his jaw, and about the fights i hate rashard but i think he would beat jackson and i think lyoto will beat them both and if he dose i think he will keep the title for a long long time i mean if rashard and rampage cant beat him who the fuk can, dont get me wrong the div is stacked with top fighters but i dont see anyone who can out think machida in a fight

25. steve

March 12, 2009 at 5:56 am

Why does everyone think Machida will beat both of these guys? Rashad can explode and end a fight at any time just like rampage. Machida looked great but against Tito who couldnt take him down and hasnt looked that good in recent years and he beat Thiago Silva who is really only an above average fighter. Let him beat Rashad for the title then you can start calling him the new #1 in the division but jeez its like he is a 10-1 favorite over either guy on this post.

26. Tim

March 12, 2009 at 7:14 am

I think its mainly the fact that no one really likes Rashad and wants to see Machida win and set up a really intersting fight with Rampage. If Rashad happens to win and face Rampage i hope rampage walks right over him. I know Rashad has power but he has never faced a fighter like machida the style is very different than from what Rashad is used to.

27. Alex

March 13, 2009 at 4:58 pm

The reason everyone favors Machida is due to the fact that no one has shown him even a good round. Rashad barely beat tito. Machida showed tito his own nuts on a platter. Rampage isn't favored here because he's always aggressive, and that's what Machida loves more then anything. Rampage can't win against Machida. Rashad Has a better chance of beating Machida then Rampage, but Rampage VS Rashad would be a more evenly matched fight.

28. steve

March 13, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Rampage cant win against Machida. Alex thats laughable. It is a mma fight and if you watched GSP vs Serra then you know anything can happen no matter how much of a favorite you are.

29. Alex

March 14, 2009 at 1:59 am

I'm not the Alex that wrote that but I agree with everything except the Tito thing. I think Machida didn't have a good fight with Tito and almost got subbed. Machida's a bad ass though. Rashad might be the tougher fight for him because he's faster than Rampage.

30. mmaroot:)

March 15, 2009 at 4:57 am

I think this fight “could” be boring because both fighters like it when they are being stocked. Just look at what happened to chuck when he was stocking Rashad. Just look at what happended to Silva when he was stocking Machida. Now who will stock whom in this fight?

Remember I said "Could be a boring"

31. Alex

March 16, 2009 at 8:01 pm

@steve

You're correct. I shouldn't have used those words specifically. It should be kept to opinion and not to post opinion as fact. I'll own that, but in my opinion it'll take a miracle for Rampage to beat Machida. It'll take less then a miracle for Rashad to beat Machida, but definitely something amazing has to happen.

32. bobby

March 25, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Yea Machida will win and another Brazillian will have a long title reign…he is the bets in LH atm and i see noone beating him soon..After the way he handled Thiago i think Rashad is in trouble.

33. Ryan S

March 25, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Lyoto and Rashad would be a cool matchup because it would be an interesting clash of styles. Griffin has a style similar to machida's and Rampage couldn't beat him so I could definately see that fight going to Machida, but Steve is right, anything could happen.

March 25, 2009 at 11:21 pm

rashed will win.i think evans has the S tyle to win this fight and move on and fight jackson..

35. jack

March 26, 2009 at 2:14 am

i think Machida will win very easily whether unanimous decision or KO/tko/sub. Rashad had not impressed me and sure he has big KO wins over big guys, but i cant help to think how he looked against Tito Oriz where he would have lost if it was not for Tito losing points for holding the cage and against Bisping a very close split decision that could have went in Bisping's favour. Lyoto will expose every weakness of Evans and be the champ for a long time mabey the longest yet

36. mike cash

April 8, 2009 at 5:14 am

all yal who think rashad will lose……suck a dick….

37. roy

April 8, 2009 at 5:36 am

mike does that mean if machida wins you are sucking dick that night?

38. Greg R

April 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I have not seen Machida lose a Round yet and I think he wins and holds the belt for a long time myself

39. dane drebin

April 9, 2009 at 6:53 pm

machidas gunna beat the shit out of rashad and then drink his own piss infront of the entire world. belive it bitches.

40. dane drebin

April 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm

oh and Greg R if u wanna see machida lose a round google Penn vs Machida and watch the first round. the striking is even and penn gets a takedown. but other than that i havent seen machida lose a round either.

41. keenan snipes

April 13, 2009 at 4:31 am

To tell you the truth some of you are right. Machida is a graceful fighter, and uses the ring to his advantage. But i think Rashad will eventually catch him, its what Machida will do when Evans unleashs that blow. I feel it will be a good kickboxing match for a few rounds since both fighters test each others opponents, then it will be who can find the opener first. And another thing, i dont know why you all think Rampage will walk all over Evans. Rampage is a slugger not a fighter with much technique. Bitches!

42. steve

April 13, 2009 at 6:59 am

rampage has great boxing technique. His movement isnt the greatest but he has good punches keeps his chin tucked and rotates and flows with his punches almost everytime. Technique in the hands is something that Rampage has a lot of.

43. Keenan snipes

April 14, 2009 at 3:59 am

Maybe he does, put if u look at his fights it seems most would put him in the brawler category. He follows through with every punch, but he does throw blind punches at times too. Rashad times his punches and his boxing just keeps getting better every match. Rampage my be very strong, but Rashad will tag him everytime till he throws that sleeper on Rampage.

44. steve

April 14, 2009 at 6:05 am

Rashad was getting outstruck by Liddell and Griffin. Oh yeah and h got outstruck by Bisping. His stand up isnt untouchable. Like I said most people think rampage is just gonna go out and throw like Wandy but he is very technical. If you know about technique standing then you will know what im talking about. If you dont then you wont. You think Rashad will put Rampage to sleep?? lol. It took about 10 well placed knees to put Rampage to sleep and good luck getting those on him today. I dont see rampage getting put to sleep unless rashad hits him with a tranq.

45. Ryan S

April 14, 2009 at 7:43 am

I don't know Steve. I know technique on the feet and I have never really thought Rampage showed it in his fights. I think the only reason Rashad could win is because of his speed. He can sneak those punches in and, if not get the ko, he can build up points to win a decision. The problem is, no one has really seen Rampage really get rocked good in a while, correct me if I'm wrong.

46. steve

April 14, 2009 at 9:14 am

wow so the majority of people posting on this site dont think rampage has technique on his feet. WOW.

47. dane drebin

April 14, 2009 at 10:38 am

ya steves right thats pretty stupid rampage is probably one of the most technical boxers in the 205 division… his only flaw is kick and checking kicks.

48. dane drebin

April 14, 2009 at 10:43 am

i do think its funny tho steve that u are a machida fan all of the sudden. before the thiago fight u said he was boring and shouldnt get a title shot.

49. steve

April 14, 2009 at 11:05 am

Dane I am not a rashad or Machida fan. I think Rashad will beat Machida. I havent said one thing about liking Machida. I am not even talking about him. I am just talking about Keenan Snipes saying Rampage is a slugger and doesnt have much technique. My statements have nothing to do with Machda dane. I still think he is a boring fighter.

50. keenan snipes

April 15, 2009 at 3:51 am

Im not saying Jackson doesn't have any striking skills because there is a reason why they call him Rampage, in most cases his stand-up ends up in sluggfest. And yes Rashad was getting outstruck by very few fighters including Liddel and Griffin, but correct me if im wrong Rashad is known for being a wrestler. What im saying is Rashad has more bounce, speed and just as much power to end matches in knock outs, and his boxing keeps getting better by every match. I have nothing against Quinton I do love his style but, I don't see him Ramming all over Rashad like he was nothing!

51. steve

April 15, 2009 at 4:09 am

Here is my point Keenan. There is a way to throw power punches with technique and without it. Rampage throws with technique thats what im saying. I am not saying he will or will not walk through rashad but I do think he would beat rashad though.

52. keenan

April 15, 2009 at 7:51 am

i do disagree, but well stated opinion. Just from my point of view of how I see his fights which helps voice my opinion.

53. Pato

April 16, 2009 at 4:14 am

Machida is a calculated fighter. Machida 3-4 round.

54. tyler

April 24, 2009 at 11:02 am

oooooo man. this is an awsome fight. i thunk that rashad will beat him with the hands and wrestling. the only way machida will win is by jui jitsu i think. machida can;t really match to evans hands and wrestling. and i like the fight between serra and hughes. lovin that fight. i think hughes will win but i want serra to win because i dont like hughes.

55. Sugar

May 1, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Sugar rashad is the most entertaining well rounded talented fighter in history and e will beat machida and have the type of tittle run ortiz and liddell had sugar rashad is a legend in the making

56. jack

May 2, 2009 at 2:57 am

Sugar- you are messed up in the head if you think Rashad will beat Machida as you have it all wrong. it will be Machida that will have the longest title reign in UFC history when he easily destroys your boy.

57. Sugar

May 3, 2009 at 3:41 am

No way jack no way remember this day may 3rd you doubted sugar rashad you where probably one of the 80% who doubted him against chuck and one of the 80% who doubted him against Forrest Griffin but he beat both of them with style and Machida is a great fighter but he has never faced a great striker he will get hit and get his chin tested against Rashad, Rashads to quick athletic and talented and i cant wait till 3 weeks time at ufc 98 when my man Rashads still the light heavyweight champion

58. cody

May 3, 2009 at 1:12 pm

rashad all the way he"s proven his self against some of the best fighters in the ufc and who has machida fought? even though machida is a excellent striker rashad is quicker stronger and a very great back ground in wrestling so i expect rashad to take machida down and ground and pound all night untill the ref stops it or he wins a decision or even possibly submits machida…..GO RASHAD

59. Uguysrh8ters

May 24, 2009 at 12:00 am

Everybody hatin on the black guy….lol….it's funny to me. I bet 99.9% of the idiots posting on this page are WHITE! This isn't the 1960's anymore, people are being biased for racial purposes, not because they think Lyoto Machida is the best fighter! You idiots are all racist!

60. Uguysrh8ters

May 24, 2009 at 12:02 am

In My opinion, Lyoto Machida is still overrated. Jus can't wait to see Rampage knock his block off and shut all these klansmen up!

61. patrick bateman

May 24, 2009 at 12:30 am

SUGAR what now you iddiot look yourself in the mirror and take up checkers or something because you know nothing about mma. how is your boy evans doing today hahah probably resting in a hospital bed. i told you so Machida will be champ no less than 2 years

62. patrick bateman

May 24, 2009 at 12:36 am

UGUYSRH*TERS is blind because he thinks machida is white what a loser he is the racist

63. OG

May 24, 2009 at 2:01 am

Yeah, good call there picking Rashad.

64. Sill

May 24, 2009 at 3:25 am

@cody

look at machida's record pal before you start saying he hasn't fought any of the best fighters. With a win over BJ penn and handing Rich Franklin his first loss he had proved himself long ago. Oh yeah, he also beat Tito Ortiz unanimously, and Rashad only managed to pull out a draw. Check your history before posting or you look like an idiot. I'm not gonna gloat after machida won like some others are doing, but honestly that was a stupid statement you made.

65. patrick bateman

May 24, 2009 at 7:27 am

Uguysrh8ters is obviously the biggest moron on this site. this is as clear as black and white. Rampage will get beat down worse than Evans did. You are either blind or dont know anything about MMA. I laugh at everyone who actually believed that evans would win this fight. Wake the fuck up and realize this is the real PforP champ and will keep the title for a record setting period probably till he retires.

66. Sugar

May 24, 2009 at 8:29 pm

U dumb ass bateman u say i know nothing about mma because i made one wrong prediction. Joe rogan Dana White and everyone else associated with mma where saying Rashad Evans style of fighting is the best match up against Machida but on that day Machida was unstoppable and you say i know nothing about mma because one wrong prediction. I knew Evans would beat Griffin and i knew he would beat Liddell did you? Did you thing Serra would bead GSP? Did you think GSP would beat BJ that comfortably? And go on give us a prediction on the 2 fights im looking forward to Franklin vs Silva and Lesnar vs Mir and if you get one of those wrong then according to your stupid theory you know nothing about MMA. As for your theory on Machida being pound for pound best that is stupid if he ever fought Anderson Silva then Silva would kill his ass but they aint ever gonna fight but if they did Anderson Silva would show the world he is much better then Machida

67. whodini

May 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Rashad a legend in the making ? the most well rounded fighter ? and entertaining ? that was the best one of all ,,,,, entertaining …. come on Sugar…please tell me you were drinking when you posted that …we aint hating on the black guy were hating on the overhyped black guy who has no offense or take downs …just backs up like hes scared to get hit and hopes to land one

68. Sugar

May 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm

no i was not drunk when i posted that he is entertaining he is like the only fighter who actually puts on a show and entertains. The showboating he does is entertaining he took forrest griffins best shot in round 2 of their fight then tells him to sucks his dick after taking a flurry of shots and forrest griffins besst strikes he follows it by a smile and a suck it gesture that is entertainin. Also this mans a wrestler but by the way he strikes you would think he came up to mma via boxing or kickboxing thats well rounded he can mix them up like very very few others

69. jack

May 25, 2009 at 12:34 am

SUGAR you are the biggest iddiot i have ever heard he knows nothing about nothing probably no education. if a guy can not realize by know that Machida is the best fighter iin MMA he is fucked and sugar. you probably think Rampage will beat him too. well make sure you check back after that fight and tell me i was right again you fucking loser

70. jack

May 25, 2009 at 12:37 am

SUGAR anderson silva has even commented in interviews that he would not fight or beat Machida wake the fuck up. even silva states that Machida is the elite fighter and i think he would know he trains with him.

71. jack

May 25, 2009 at 12:40 am

Sugar is a racist who does not even know what background Machida is all he sees is black and he is the worsst kind and the first to call a white guy a racist for betting against a black fighter. grow up you should be shot with a ball of your own shit.

May 25, 2009 at 1:55 am

It is also Silva bestfreind and could be just saying that..

Rich and silva and Macida all train togather for this fight

73. whodini

May 25, 2009 at 1:56 am

ye but that was Forrest .. mediocre of latley Griffon .. i like someome who goes after people not wait and bait

May 25, 2009 at 2:11 am

WOW i just watched Novers fight WTF that was stopped way to early like OMG now i know why EVERYONE WAS BOOing The little Bold Refe wtf If Nover gets cut for that iwill flip the fuck out OMG

thats the fight watch it

75. Ron

May 25, 2009 at 4:30 am

Machida is great, but his stance – with his legs way out in front of him – can make him vulnerable in the future. Machida's legs are always in front of him and they can be a good target. However, it will take a very quick, powerful and clever opponent, but Machida's legs can be taken out and he can be g&p'd out.

76. Ron

May 25, 2009 at 4:35 am

btw-Fedor is still the best in the world!!! Machida is great, but he his record is not as good as Fedor's record. If you have followed MMA from the very beginning, then you know that Fedor is on top. Look at the number of fights and look at all of the opponents that Fedor has utterly dismantled.

77. Ron

May 25, 2009 at 4:52 am

Finally Anderson Silva is the second best p4p fighter in the world and Machida needs to defend the belt at least a few times before he can be put into the top 3 – p4p category. If A. Silva can dominate most of the LHW division and if A. Silva continues to completely dominate the MW division, then Machida will need to do the same in order to tie A. Silva for second best p4p fighter in the world…Fedor needs to loose at least one time in order for him to be knocked of the top of the p4p rating…Alot of the best p4p ratings are not objective; you just need to look each fighters opponents, the number of title defenses and records of each fighter objectively.

78. TMulaBaby

May 25, 2009 at 5:56 am

Ima go head and throw this out there…

Im taking rampage in round 2 knockout.

I know machida is great and all

and hella well rounded.

but

I like rampage in this fight.

Rampage is reaching his best and is actually training.

and he wont be all scared of whats to come like rashad.

I know ima get shit for this but its my opinion right?

Just what i think yall

79. JJ

May 26, 2009 at 3:42 am

for cody….do you even know who lyoto has fought?

rich franklin (undefeated at the time)

sam greco