UFC Fight Night 13: Stephan Bonner vs. Matt Hamill

Updated: January 9, 2008

MMAFightline is reporting, that Ultimate Fighter Season 1 veteran Stephan Bonner will step into the cage with Matt Hamill at UFC Fight Night 13 on April 2 in Denver, Colorado.

MMAFightline.com has confirmed through sources close to Matt Hamill that he has been offered and accepted a match up with Stephan Bonner to take place at UFC Fight Night on April 2nd. Stephan Bonnar has also confirmed the fight on his personal website.

This fight will be a true test for Bonners ground skills, as Hamill is a a three-time NCAA Division III National Wrestling Champion and should have no problem taking this fight to the ground.

Hamill must show that he is not just a wrestler and try for submissions on the ground. In his most recent loss to Michael Bisping, Hamill had no problem taking down Bisping, but showed virtually no skills to pass guard and fight for submissions.

Fights Also Rumored on the card:

Main Card

Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon
Stephan Bonnar vs. Matt Hamill
Marcus Aurelio vs. Spencer Fisher

1. DanP

January 8, 2008 at 9:48 pm

This is a good match up! I hope Bonner knocks Hamill out… although i'd be happy with a submission,… Basically anything that makes Hamill disappear out of the UFC!

2. JOE

January 8, 2008 at 10:46 pm

I think Bonnar will puch a nice hole in Hamill's face. If it goes to the ground, I think Hamill will get submitted. I don't think Hamill will get away with just laying on top of him in this fight.

3. Brandon

January 9, 2008 at 12:51 am

Wow, really excited for this fight/ card. Hamill for sure got robbed in the bisping fight. Hamill's hands, althought slow, are extremely heavy. Along with his ground skills I think this is a going to be a great fight…I'm also looking forward to Florian Vs. my man Lauzon

4. roy

January 9, 2008 at 2:47 am

i think this one could end up a boring fight,i hope i am wrong. bonnar by submisson

January 9, 2008 at 4:01 am

this fight will be really good.. bonnar is good striker and good on the ground i think its going to be a bad match up for hamill… i hope lauzon beat kenny

6. kom34

January 9, 2008 at 4:44 am

Should be good. Bonner is a stronger fighter than Bisping so I think this fight will tell me more about how strong Hamill is.

7. roy

January 9, 2008 at 5:02 am

if hamill can pull this off he would move up in the rankings but there so many tough lhw i don't know how far he will get in the ufc.

8. dane drebin

January 9, 2008 at 8:22 am

i think hamill is too old to ever reach the top he is like 36 i think i mgiht be wrong but i think this could be a great match he should still be undefeated in the octagon and stephan is fucking awesome… i think stephan will win because he's a lot more well rounded

9. BRANDON

January 9, 2008 at 9:12 am

wow i didnt know hamill was thst old…Bonnar is well versed and more experienced professional fight wise than Hamill…Roy you make a good point, the lhw and ww divison are just stacked with talent right now that its hard for a good fighter to get recognition with all the super stars

10. Realwun

January 9, 2008 at 10:33 am

Hamill is 30 or 31 years old. I think Bonner's experience will win him this fight. Hamill is very strong so I want to see which fighter can win in the clinch.

11. dredlokrasta

January 9, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Hamill seems to have no quit in hime. That is what caught my eye about him. I do think he beat Bisping, but I don't think that performance would have been good against Bonner. Stephan showed me he is a fighter, and for Hamill to rumble with him, I think Matt will have to be more than a wrestler.

12. dane drebin

January 9, 2008 at 6:32 pm

ya dont quote me on hamills age but he's definetly in his 30's i like hamill but i think he will be another stepping stone in stephans rise back to the top of the division

13. JOE

January 9, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Hamill is 31. He'll be 32 in October.

14. dane drebin

January 9, 2008 at 8:00 pm

i still think he's pretty old to be starting his mma career but isnt houston alexander older? anyone know his age? if hamill does make it to the top more power to him tho i think hes got a lot of potential. if he did beat bonnar which i highly doubt seeing as stephan looks the best and most motivated ive ever seen him since his suspension, i think he should face chuck it would be interesting to see if he could take chuck down and how chuck would do off his back… but im pretty sure chuck would win that fight and it would b a nice notch in his belt to bring him back towards a title shot

15. whodini

January 10, 2008 at 12:32 am

bonner will kick his ass

16. Brandon

January 10, 2008 at 1:14 am

Houstan Alexander is either 36 or 37

17. roy

January 10, 2008 at 3:41 am

dane i don't see hamill taking chuck down at all, chuck has already fought great wrestlers randleman,couture,and even tito and they could not get him down or keep him down.it would to easy of a fight for chuck.

18. Morey

January 10, 2008 at 6:15 am

I agree Hamill would be an easy fight for Chuck right now. Hamill would do his straight foward walk and Chuck would pick him apart with counters.

19. dane drebin

January 10, 2008 at 8:48 am

you're both prolly right but it would be a nice confidence builder for chuck against a good opponent haha

20. roy

January 10, 2008 at 8:53 am

yeah but chuck needs to fight top guys to earn a title shot but the ufc may just feed him some easy fights.

21. BRANDON

January 10, 2008 at 8:58 am

chuck is probably gonna fight rashad if shogun doesnt fight him

22. BRANDON

January 10, 2008 at 9:02 am

you know what i think is a good solution. Shogin fights rashad wins and Lidell holds off to see that fight (to see if shogun wins) and then fights shogun, winner of that gets a shot at the winner of jackson/ griffin. That way if lidell wins hes coming of two wins over big names and if Shogun wins hes also coming of two big name wins even tho the evans fight should be easy for him

23. Josh

January 21, 2008 at 3:05 pm

dane sounds like a newb, you dont know what your talking about, my mom knows more about MMA than you. I think Hamill should win this fight, if you guys remember when bonner faced Rashad Evans.. This is gonna be that all over again, plus i think Hamill is better than Rashad, at least if you compare both of there fights against Bisping, Hamill did better IMO than Evans did (and Yes in my book Hamill did win)