UFC Fight Night 17: Hermes Franca Out Against Lauzon With Injury

Updated: January 27, 2009
hermes franca

hermes franca

The main event fight between Hermes Franca and Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 17 “Lauzon vs Franca” is now off, due to a torn ACL Franca suffered in training.

With the fight just over a week away on Feb. 7, the UFC has some work to do finding a suitable main event replacement.

Hermes Franca via the Underground:

To all my Fans, unfortunately I am not gonna be able to fight UFC 17 in Tampa Florida, I just tore my ACL on my right knee last Saturday….I think you guys deserve to hear that from me. I just want to take care of that, and Joe Lauzon you’re lucky mother fucker lololol (J/K). Thank you UFC, my fans, friends for the support, I was training hard and I was so excited, but there’s nothing I can do, (could be worse), so Hermes Franca will take a break for some recovery and come back stronger than ever like I always do!!!!

UPDATE
The UFC has called out Jeremy Stephens to replace Hermes Franca and take on Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 17.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 17, check out our MMA Rumors section.

1. Luke

January 27, 2009 at 7:49 am

I just read somewhere that Jeremy Stephens is Franca's replacement.

2. dane drebin

January 27, 2009 at 11:07 am

this card sucks…straight up

3. the chad

January 27, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Sorry D!I was just playing witcha dane d ! ….I agree with you this card is junk!

Anyone think bj gonna give gsp a run!

3rd tko for gsp! Hola!

4. the chad

January 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm

GSP 3RD ROUND TKO!

5. dane drebin

January 27, 2009 at 2:45 pm

i just want a war from gsp and penn to come in shape. i also hope machida engages silva and doesnt run the hole fight. i think machida will win but i hope thiago can pull it out and will eb rooting for him hes a warrior.

January 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Franca put that sucks bad, but Jeremy Stephens will take the fight..he has take fights on a 3 days notes and it was vs Din Thomas so i think he will take this and i wish him the best and i think it will be a great fight and i hope Jeremy pulls off a knockout

January 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Neer vs Mac will be a good fight.. i hope its on the feet the hole time

8. crynot

January 27, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Did you guys see that vicious upper cut that Stephens threw in UFC 91? It was sick!!!

9. erik

January 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm

with me being from iowa and everything i am a big fan of jeremy stephens…i have met and talked with the guy he is a really nice person and a good ambassador of the sport….unfortunately tho i just cant see him gettin past J-Lau….he should have just helped franca and then got ready for his fight efrain is no joke

January 28, 2009 at 12:03 am

i hope won or lose he still gets the fight with Efrain..