UFC News: Jon Fitch and Christian Wellisch Released By The UFC

Updated: November 20, 2008
ufc-87-gsp-vs-fitch

UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch and fellow AKA trained heavyweight Christian Wellisch have been relesed by the UFC for refusing to sign an agreement that would give the UFC exclusive lifetime video game rights to their name and likeness, according to MMAMania.

Dana White via Yahoo Sports

“We’re looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I’m just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it’s not even funny. Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren’t partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them…. I’m not a douche bag and I do a lot for these guys, a lot more than any of you will ever know. We’re in a horrible time in the economy now, and every guy with two nickels to rub together is making a run at us. We’ve worked too hard, given too much, to let certain guys come in and [expletive] with that.”

Jon Fitch comments on Hardcore Sports Radio

“This all transpired over about two or three days, Dana called my management and tried to get us on board for this video game agreement, we returned with our offer and they responded with you need to accept this or else”

“I had two fights left on my contract, but they put a clause in my contract that if you lose a fight, we can release you at any time”

“That’s what’s crazy is that there’s no money involved in this whatsoever, it has absolutely zero to do with any money whatsoever. The agreement that they wanted us to sign is that we get free publicity. The problem is that it’s a lifetime contract and you cannot work with any other video game company”

Fitch states that top UFC contenders Josh Koscheck and Cain Velasquez are also expected to be on the chopping block for not signing the agreement. This is complete madness, more on this as the story develops.

“Right now, myself and Christian Wellisch have had our bout agreements scrapped and our promotional agreements terminated. Christian was actually going to sign the agreement because he didn’t really care. They cyut him first, I think as a scare for me, Koscheck and Cain. Cain Velasquez has got one fight on his contract and they’re saying that after his fight he’s done and they’re not going to re-up his contract. I think the same thing goes for Koscheck. I think they would drop him right now if he wasn’t fighting on (December) 10th, if he wasn’t headlining that show.”

1. zalbag

November 19, 2008 at 9:18 pm

I guess it doesnt really matter who you are dont Fphuck with Dana White

2. Oswald Gobblecock

November 19, 2008 at 9:43 pm

"The problem is that it’s a lifetime contract and you cannot work with any other video game company”

How many video games does Fitch think he's gonna be in? lol Moron.

3. whodini

November 19, 2008 at 9:58 pm

yeah but …sounds like they want him to sign his life away… they want to own everything about him,,i know its business just seems greedy to me

4. Ryan S

November 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm

There are plenty of video game companies he can sign with, and I believe he would make a lot of money doing that. I think he refused because UFC ultimately wanted control over what he could make with video games. I think it is kind of shitty and I also think it is kind of shitty that UFC's fighters are so expendable to them. "You don't want to do exactly like we say? Ok, fuck you. You are all of a sudden a fucking asshole. You are cut." What if he just didn't want to be in a video game? I love how classy and proper Dana White is in interviews, swearing and shit. He is trying to create an image.

5. Jake

November 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm

It's a shiity deal but that's what you get when you deal with the devil.

Kos is a cocky bastard. I wouldn't be surprisd if he didn't try to pull some kind of stunt to make a statement.

Once again I think the fighters need a union to give them strength in negotiations. Boxers still only have managers and promoters and look how fucked up things are for them.

6. whatever

November 20, 2008 at 1:46 am

mission accomplished dana…

im not buying this game now.

jake; you are dead right, as much as i dislike unions, this is where one would be useful.

7. T.R.

November 20, 2008 at 3:44 am

looks like affliction will get another GREAT fighter in fitch.

8. fedor24

November 20, 2008 at 4:06 am

Long live Dana. As long as he operates like this the better for all of us mma fans. Affliction can build a better model on fighter promotion and contracts while Dana rails that the UFC is "taking care of these guys". Make me an offer I can't refuse. Good job Dana.

November 20, 2008 at 5:14 am

Damn jon fitch is oout..fuck..i would have liked to be able to play the Second best welter weight out there..

November 20, 2008 at 5:15 am

losing joh must hurt a little..

11. zalbag

November 20, 2008 at 5:21 am

Cutting Koscheck may not be as likely, but I think he loses to Yoshida in supposed upset and hes gone. Yoshida is a very good fighter and a fun to watch. The one thing that Koscheck has on his side though is that he is one of the original cast of TUF.

12. zalbag

November 20, 2008 at 5:21 am

Wouldnt it be ironic though if Dana kept Leben but booted Koscheck.

13. roy

November 20, 2008 at 5:22 am

horrible loss for the ufc, they can't keep losing guys that are that good.

14. zalbag

November 20, 2008 at 5:27 am

I agree roy wouldnt you also agree that Affliction is about one great and one solid fighter away from being a serious promotion as powerful as pride was at one point. If they get Koscheck, Fitch, Jake Shields (even though I hate his guts) they could argue that they have the best WW division. That would be a great division to watch. They really only need one more outspokenn big co star to Fedor. They then can play the good guy card and say they are the ones who really take care of their fighters. Taking on all the Elite guys and booted UFC guys.

15. roy

November 20, 2008 at 5:44 am

good stuf zalbag that is excatly what affliction needs, they could pick the ufc fighters that will be released because of this and the elite fighters and have a great rooster but i just don't know if they have the finance to do it, i hope and wish that they can.

16. Cobra Clutch

February 26, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Seventeenth…..and probably last. ;)

17. Jack Black

April 8, 2009 at 8:04 am

Stink works best against stink. The fighters of the UFC should seriously consider a professional fighters work union.