UFC Offers Michida A Fight With Tito Ortiz

Updated: January 6, 2008
lyoto machida vs sokoudjou

lyoto machida vs sokoudjou

According to MMAWeekly, Ed Soares manager of Lyoto Machida has confirmed that the UFC has offered his client a fight with former UFC lightweight champion Tito Ortiz. Soares also confirmed that Machida has accepted the fight and it is up to Tito Ortiz to sign off on the deal.

“It would be an honor to fight such a legend as Tito Ortiz,” said Machida. “I would like to see how my technique matches up against his.”

Machida (12-0) is undefeated in his professional mixed martial arts career, with notable wins over Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, BJ Penn, Sam Hogar and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.

Machida has a reputation of being a boring fighter that knows how to edge out decisions over his opponents, but in his latest fight with Sokoudjou at UFC 79, Machida out classed the bigger and stronger fighter with an impressive second round submission victory.

It is not known when the fight might take place, but Tito Ortiz is rumored to headline the Cinco de Mayo UFC event in May.

1. dane drebin

January 5, 2008 at 8:25 pm

i think tito will take this one atleast i hope he does and gets back into top contention

2. Joe

January 5, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Hmmm….I hate to say it but I think Machida will beat Ortiz. I'd like to see that fight.

January 6, 2008 at 12:30 am

tito would wins this fight easy if he come back like he use to but if not i still think tito will win if tito just stays in his face and gets the takedowns and doesnt let michida stand still so we can throw thse kicks and michida is backing up he cant really kick and if tito gets in his face he cant reallt kick.. i say tito has it.

4. CagE

January 6, 2008 at 4:49 am

Machida is going to handle Tito. I don't think Tito has the fighting spirit anymore. He has money, ass, and fame.

@Joe, I definitely would want to see this fight too.

5. BRANDON

January 6, 2008 at 4:49 am

i honestly agree with you Joe. I believe that because of Lyoto's extreme elusivness hes gonna avoid getting taken down by ortiz. Tito is a one-dimensional fighter (ground and pound) with average if not less than aveage striking ability…i think Lyoto could actually pull away with this one. And i dont necessarily believe Lyoto is a "boring" fighter, i respect his elusive skill, every MMA fighter should try and learn that.

6. BRANDON

January 6, 2008 at 4:51 am

And can somone explain to me exactly, step by step, how to do an arm bar. I wrestle with my brother all time and we simply cant figure out how to do it

7. derek

January 6, 2008 at 7:18 am

tito's gf, jenna jameson, should go on sex strike until tito wins. this would motivate tito to actually start training like the old tito.

8. BRANDON

January 6, 2008 at 7:19 am

haha even tho i dont like tito i love ur straegy…that would motivate Mini Me to train for MMA

January 6, 2008 at 11:01 am

hhahaha damn that would make tito come back and get the belt.

10. Realwun

January 6, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Brandon: First secure the arm with their elbow in your crotch region. Face their thumb toward the sky so that you bend the joint in the right way. Then squease your knees together so that it elevates the arm allowing some space to hyperextend. Arc your hips up then rock back with their arm secured and wait for the tap.

This is the traditional armbar that you're probably trying for.

11. Realwun

January 6, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I've seen Machida's fights including his wins over Rich Franklin and BJ Penn. He finally showed a little more agression like he used to have in his fight with Soku. I'll give that fight to Machida. Tito seems more concerned with celebrity and his girlfriend than being champion again.

12. BRANDON

January 6, 2008 at 2:01 pm

thanks realwun, that kind of shit is useful for fights ahaha

13. JOE

January 6, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Be carefull learning that arm bar Brandon. It doesn't take much for an injury. Get the movement down at a slow pace. Placement of your legs and feet are pretty important too. I'm sure there is a lot of material on the internet with step by step photo's. It might be easier than trying to get a mental picture. Also, if you're talkting about the arm bar being usefull for streetfights, be extremely cautious. As you probably already know there are several factors to be considered on the street that aren't factors in the cage. For instance, you're probably not going to be wearing a cup, so if you don't know what you're doing you may take yourself out of the fight. They may try to bite you, or while you're on your back trying to get that arm bar his friend might walk up and stomp on your face, etc etc etc….. I'm not trying to preach, I'm just saying be careful and don't get tunnel visioned on things. Good luck and try not to break anyone's arm

14. Leet

January 6, 2008 at 5:45 pm

You might know the armbar but can you execute it. It seems to me that an important part of BJJ is not knowing how to submit, but knowing how to put yourself in the right position for a submission.

15. Leet

January 6, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Preach on Joe, I wouldn't ever try an armbar in a streetfight. I could try it but I'll get racked and then bit…guaranteed.

16. Brandon

January 7, 2008 at 12:02 am

haha i appreciate the advice Joe, i'm looking into starting to train in MMA so i'd like to go in knowing a few things.

17. JOE

January 8, 2008 at 11:21 pm

That's good man. I hope you like it. It's definitely a challenging, lifestyle changing sport. Something to keep in mind; if you learn on your own for a while then go to a reputable gym, you'll discover that you may have unknowingly developed some bad habits while learning on your own. Sometimes it's harder to break a bad habit, than to learn something new for the first time. I'm in no way trying to discourage you from learning on your own. Just don't let your desire to learn a lot of submissions come before learning the proper technique. Okay, I'm writing a book so I'm going to shut up now. Good luck to you.

18. Brandon

January 9, 2008 at 12:55 am

Thanks, that's good advice. I've been boxing for about three years now so I think it's a good start…but I know that the MMA world is vastly different