UFC On Versus “Vera vs. Jones” Results

Updated: March 21, 2010
vera-jones

MAIN CARD

• Jon Jones defeats Brandon Vera via TKO (Strikes) at 3:19 of R1.
  • Junior Dos Santos defeats Gabriel Gonzaga via KO (Punches) at 3:53 of R1.
  • Cheick Kongo defeats Paul Buentello via Submission (Strikes) at 1:16 of R3.
  • Alessio Sakara defeats James Irvin via TKO (Punch) at 3:01 of R1.
  • Clay Guida defeats Shannon Gugerty via Submission (Triangle Choke) at 3:40 of R2.

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Vladimir Matyushenko defeats Eliot Marshall via Split Decision.
  • Darren Elkins defeats Duane Ludwig via TKO (Ankle Injury) at 0:44 of R1.
  • John Howard defeats Daniel Roberts via KO (Punch) at 2:01 of R1.
  • Brendan Schaub defeats Chase Gormley via TKO (Punches) at 0:47 of R1.
  • Mike Pierce defeats Julio Paulino via Unanimous Decision. (30-27 x3)
  • Jason Brilz defeats Eric Schafer via Unanimous Decision. (29-28 x3)

1. CagE

March 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I like to thank Kongo for ruining what could have been an a great fight and an opportunity for him to showcase his striking.

2. SWAT

March 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Bones Jones seems like such a sweet church boy then he goes and cracks your skull. I'd like to see him fight the winner and the loser of Shogun/Machita.

3. Hall

March 21, 2010 at 1:05 pm

True Dat True Dat I agree SWAT. Jones looks pretty damn good out there. Vera must know something we dont know, he gave up quick,.Jones must have broke something.

4. Kash

March 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I'm going to have to catch the replay if the Jones fight was that good. I heard Irvin faked an eye gouge too, he got rocked from a jab.

5. T.R.

March 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Dos Santos!!!!!!

6. Dre

March 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Anderson Silva VS Jon Jones dana white make it happen, lets see it! great big wrestler who can strike, good challenge for the Spider Anderson will win but it would be a amazing fight p4p!

7. fino

March 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I knew the first time I saw him fight that Jon Jones will be a star in MMA. Tonight he confirmed my initial impressions. He is going to be good for the sport inside and outside the cage.

8. Jay

March 21, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Jon jones has a great future and he is still learning the game. Just 22 years old! I dont think he is ready for Anderson yet

9. Rubs

March 21, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Gad, Vera just hypes me up and lets me down every single time :|

10. CobraClutch

March 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I'm a huge Jones fan, too, and that's why I agree with Jay. Jones is still learning, let's keep him going up the ladder and getting tougher and tougher as he goes. If he rises too quick it could hurt his career. What's the rush? He's only 22.

I'd like to see him fight: Thiago Silva, Keith Jardine, Phil Davis, Luiz Cane, Rich Franklin

I would rather he waited a few fights before getting to Silva, Machida, or Shogun.

Or, actually, how about this one: Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader? Now THAT'S a good match-up, in my opinion, right now for both of them! Anyone with me?

11. STEVEO

March 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I am with Cobra, Jones is impressive but lets not go throwing him into the cage with Silva just yet, I would like to see a fight with Bader, I also think Thiago Alves would be a good one. But I wouldn't say hes ready to go out and get in the ring with the p4p champ yet. I think that forrest could be a good match up and see how he goes against a grinder, forrest is also a big long lhw so the body type would match too.

12. STEVEO

March 21, 2010 at 11:18 pm

was Kongo training with Randy Couture, cause it sure looked like it, it was boring but I have to respect Kongo for going outside his safety zone and having a good game plan and sticking to it. Kongo has finally figured out he can't stand and bang with every guy he fights, may be a force

13. Miko

March 22, 2010 at 2:27 am

Steveo: this isn't the first time he's tried to use his ground game.

Watch the Kongo vs. Herring fight again.

Herring, who hadn't practiced wrestling in almost a year

focused primarily on his stand up. Kongo took herring to the ground repeatedly and wasn't able to do anything and lost by decision. If Kongo couldn't get past Herring (a great fighter but never made it past the Gatekeeper status) he isn't getting past anyone contender worthy.

14. fabio

March 22, 2010 at 5:19 am

THIAGO SILVA VS BONES

KONGO VS STRUVE

BUENTELLO VS NELSON

VERA VS PHIL DAVIS

WOULD BE GREAT WHAT YA THINK?

15. CobraClutch

March 22, 2010 at 6:09 am

I like that, fabio, let's call up Joel and make it happen, cool?

16. CobraClutch

March 22, 2010 at 6:10 am

Sorry…Joe Silva….I have a heavy ring finger (that's what SHE said!!!)

17. fabio

March 22, 2010 at 6:19 am

if you give his number i call him right away :P

i like to see reshad vs anderson

18. fabio

March 22, 2010 at 7:52 am

bones need a BIGGER name than vera cuz he owned hammill and vera both in first R and both of them hurt jones

19. hosan

March 22, 2010 at 11:42 am

i enjoy the fact that even though jonny bones took a couple of illegal upkicks he still smashed vera.

20. STEVEO

March 22, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I say if you can kick a guy in the face that's on top of you, legal, i can barely touch my toes most of the time. I am just getting tired of stopping the fight every 30 seconds to make sure everyone is ok cause of a rule, like rogan said, the 6-12 elbow thing is insane. if they keep making more and more rules, its becoming less and less mma and more or boxing and wrestling.

21. CobraClutch

March 22, 2010 at 4:15 pm

don't worry, steveo, our sport is fine and will be fine.