UFC President Dana White Comments On EliteXC “Influencing Fights” Scandal

dana_white_hitman

UFC President Dana White comments to the Boston Herald about the recent EliteXC fight fixing scandal.

“It disgusts me. I’ve been busting my (expletive) for 10 years flying all over the planet to show everybody what a great sport this is and what amazing people are involved in it. Then CBS throws this guy who fights at people’s barbecues on the main event because they’re trying to compete with us, and he gets knocked out in (14) seconds by a guy who didn’t win ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and couldn’t fight in the UFC. Then the guy turns around the next day and says, ‘The promoters actually paid me to not go to the ground with this guy. They paid me to stand up,’ which I’m pretty sure is illegal…. (Slice is) a joke. It was bound to happen. These guys have lost $60 million trying to get this thing off the ground. They’re building their promotion around a guy who can’t fight. It’s kind of (expletive) stupid, isn’t it? You’re in the fight business and you’re building your business around a guy who can’t fight…. When dirty people go out and do stuff like that, it hurts. Promoters have a bad rap as it is because of the last 100 years of boxing. We actually started to turn that around and were doing the right things and then you have these guys coming out and doing (expletive) like that. It hurts us.”

After the contradicting statement by Gary Shaw, it is hard to believe EliteXC’s top brass when they say fights are not being influenced.

I’m normally not impressed when Dana White opens his mouth, but this time I completely agree. Thus, I put the Dana White “Hitman” Wallpaper image as opposed to the dorky blank stair image of the always entertaining UFC President.

Total 0 Votes

Tell us how can we improve this post?

+ = Verify Human or Spambot ?

1. John Hondo

October 9, 2008 at 1:26 am

Gary Shaw never liked MMA. He saw an opportunity and hide his opinion about the sport. hes just another guy making a buck off mma who has no patients and knowledge for a ground game. Gary keep to boxing.

Danas right on this one.

2. zalbag

October 9, 2008 at 1:52 am

Where were you when Elite XC died ?

3. Rick

October 9, 2008 at 2:01 am

That just makes me sick that there are guys out there that are trying to turn mma into boxing.

I also agree with Dana kimbo sucks. I am so tired of hearing about that guy.

4. Jake

October 9, 2008 at 2:06 am

Like I said before good Fucking riddance. Although I think competition against the UFC is what is needed for the fans best interest. EliteXC has done nothing except strip credibility from MMA with their pro wrestling like organization.

5. Rick

October 9, 2008 at 2:21 am

right on Jake

6. jbraytown

October 9, 2008 at 4:34 am

f**king A Jake!

7. roy

October 9, 2008 at 7:56 am

i must agree jake, i love the comp for ufc it makes things better for us but not like this.

8. NOORULLAH EISSA KHAN

October 9, 2008 at 8:06 am

I'M AGREE WITH WHITE

9. Ryan S

October 9, 2008 at 8:13 am

I think it all boiled down to desparation. They needed something to carry them. Well, now what they are doing is bringing down the credability of the sport they claim to support and host. Way to go EliteXC. Fuck you.

10. zalbag

October 9, 2008 at 8:22 am

Yeah Ryan once again the mainstream sports opinion of MMA today (Michael Wilbon from PTI) constantly proclaimed MMA is all a fraud like the WWE or TNA. I guess I wonder does anyone think that CBS would have picked up Elite XC if they were headlining with Gina Carano, or Jake Shields. and they just played it straight !! Good fighters in MMA do have marketability GSP just signed with the same marketing group as Derek Jeter, AROD, Lebron James Dana needs to push these guys some way some how. I guess its up to Dana White to help establish credibility for all of MMA.

11. Alex

October 9, 2008 at 10:18 am

It gets worse for Elite. The state of Florida took Seth's comments seriously, even though he's tried to backtrack on them. They are conducting an investigation on Elite now. I'll bet Elite is going to out Petrazelli from fighting for them too. I agree with Dana on this one. But at the same time if people are willing to buy then why not sell. Look at the numbers, people watch Kimbo good or not.

12. Nichole Lesniak

October 9, 2008 at 10:55 am

Where did you read that Alex? Everything I've read is to the contrary – that they're not doing an investigation.

13. derek

October 9, 2008 at 2:00 pm

to be honest, if gary shaw want fights to be standing, he better just go back and stick to boxing. the whole point of MMA is to expect the unexpected and be prepared for both ground and striking. shit, if i was in the elitexc, i would just work on boxing only. i noticed how the first elitexc on cbs was all striking and no MMA. elitexc is bad for the sport. plus, gary shaw is corrupt as fuck and he can't make a quick buck in mma. he's already down 60 million. affliction also needs to understand that you can't mix sports on the same venue. that's like putting baseball and football at the same event. or even ice skating and hockey together. sports need to remain separate to prosper individually. sure, mma and boxing probably cater to a good amount of the same fans, but it also exiles the fans that only like one of the sports and not the other.

14. Alex

October 9, 2008 at 3:39 pm

15. Alex

October 9, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Good points Derek. I hate to like Dana because he wants to monopolize MMA but all of these other orgs seem to fail because they don't respect MMA as a sport. I was a big boxing fan but MMA is so much more dynamic and it's only going to get better.

16. Kjetil

October 10, 2008 at 4:12 am

Yes, but Dana talking trash on other fighters like Frank Shamrock and Fedor is not very good for the sport either.

He will talk smack about anyone who isn't it the UFC and that is not good for the sport. Last time I checked the sport was called mma and not UFC.

Dana has done many great things for mma, but with his trash talking on Fedor amongst others he also hurts the sport.

17. Kjetil

October 10, 2008 at 4:15 am

Even if I can understand why the UFC is counter programing the Affliction shows from a business standpoint, it is probably bad for the sport. So for me Dana White is being a hypocrite here even if he is right about Kimbo.

18. Nichole Lesniak

October 11, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for link… it’s coming out a lot more now

19. CESAR AGUILAR