UFC90: Sherk, Griffin, Dos Santos and Fisher Earn $65K Fight Bonuses

Updated: October 26, 2008
sean sherk stripped

As the lights go down in Chicago following a disappointing finish in the main event at UFC 90. The UFC announces hefty $65K fight bonuses at the post fight press conference.

“Fight of the Night” goes to well deserved fighters Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin for a three round war between these two top contender lightweights. In the end Sherk squeaks out the close unanimous decision win, but both fighter walk away with $65k.

“Submission of the Night” bonus goes to UFC newcomer Junior Dos Santos for his brutal knock out of top UFC heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum in his UFC debut.

“Submission of the Night” bonus went to MMA veteran Spencer Fisher for his triangle choke submission over Shannon Gugerty in the third round.

The 15,359 fans in attendance at the Allstate Arena netted a whooping $2.85 million dollar gate for the live event on Saturday night.

1. jbraytown

October 25, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I have been training in martial arts for over thirty years and what I saw tonight was a steaming pile of bullshit. Anderson Silva who I have had complete respect for since he bursted into the scene with his skillfull defeat of Chris Leben, clowned around and goofed on Cote for the first two rounds, completely out of character for Silva and then in round three Cote blows his own knee out which could happen to anybody. I thought it was fucked up that Silva although he coud have ended this fight at anytime ,continued to goof around walking and picking his shots at random, let Cote get to round three and ultimatley injure himself. Silva has allways displayed class and respect for his opponents however in this case he was show-boating and trying to put on a display of his superior skills. That is not what a worldclass athlete should do, he should have went out and fought to win from the beginning,not dance and walk to humilliate his opponate, Silva may be the pound for pound best fighter in MMA but he has lost a fan here.

2. Maui MMA

October 25, 2008 at 6:46 pm

100% agree

3. TAZKE

October 25, 2008 at 11:15 pm

I also agree 100%

How could he possibly think fans would accept such behavior.

The whole event was a big let down, the main event, fans, and the refs. UFC stay out of Chicago.

4. Ryan S

October 25, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Yeah, I agree too. Even if it is an easy fight, don't make it look like that is what is in your head. It was completely out of character and I am curious to know what was going through his head when he did that. Offering to help Cote up off the ground was the worst. I'll admit, it was funny, but extremely disrespectful. I expected a classier performance.

October 26, 2008 at 1:25 am

agree with t4he guy up top..

kongo vs Dos santo

t4hat4 would be a great heavy weight slug fest

6. Kash

October 26, 2008 at 3:19 am

He was having fun in there but I agree it was too much. If we want to see Silva dance then he should go on Dancing with the Stars. We want to see him dominate and do something we've never seen before. But you can't blame Silva at all for Cotes injury because he let it go to the third. The main even was a buzz kill.

I would have given sub of the night to Leites because that was a perfect setup for a rear naked choke.

7. STEVEO

October 26, 2008 at 4:46 am

I didnt even see the fight but I am guessing it was pretty disappointing. Kinda sad to see a guy who knows better to act a fool.

8. dane drebin

October 26, 2008 at 5:24 am

kash i agree with everything u said

9. GRIMLOCK

October 26, 2008 at 11:25 am

Silva has skills but I think Cote would of went all 5 rounds and then maybe Silva would win but I think Silva was not looking to fight Cote because Cote could take that belt way in a drop of a dime Cote has two good hands and they got spider killer written all over them

10. GRIMLOCK

October 26, 2008 at 11:33 am

I hope Cote gets a rematch with Silva and kicks his ass

11. Ryan S

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 am

I agree, I would want to see the rematch. I think Cote would train harder and with more people to try to develop an edge over Silva.

12. zalbag

October 28, 2008 at 11:03 am

On Sherdog Anderson Silva was interviewed and he trys to explain the fight with COTE.

13. roy

October 29, 2008 at 7:56 am

i think silva was winning no problem but i don't know how much he was playing with cote, he saw cote take his best knee and just stand there, didn't even back up and maybe he respected cote's power and did not want to make a mistake.