Video: Dana White Comments On Anderson Silva’s Move To The 205 Division.

Updated: June 19, 2008

anderson silva vs. james irvin

UFC President Dana White comments on Anderson’s Silva’s decision to move to the 205 lbs. division.

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will likely defend his title against Yushin Okami, later this year.

“If the UFC asks me to do something, and it’s within my capability to do so, I’m going to do it….I feel like I’m part of the UFC family and the head of the family asked me to fight. I’m in condition to fight, my coaches say I can fight — I’m going to fight. I want to do whatever I can to help make UFC the No. 1 event around the world like it is.”

“He’s a middleweight…But when certain fights come up at 205 that make sense for him to do, he’s going to do it. At this particular moment Dana asked him to fight and he accepted the challenge.”

June 19, 2008 at 4:05 am

i think this will be a war and a much harder fight then pppl are going to give it, but A silva is the man and i hope he gets a knock out win in the first

June 19, 2008 at 6:54 am

also they dont have to much time to train.. less then a month

3. steve

June 19, 2008 at 8:45 am

Both of these fighters have been training. They just havent been training for a certain opponent. They wouldnt let Anderson fight with just a month of training if he wasnt in shape. But like I said watch the Luiz Cane vs James Irvin fight and you will see that this is gonna be a bad night for Sandman unless he can land a lucky punch.

June 19, 2008 at 8:59 am

idk sandman has some power knock out over houstan was crazy and the knock out of terry martan was crazy

5. roy

June 19, 2008 at 9:02 am

i don't think it a good match up at all for irvin, i think he gets destroyed in the first but do agree he has a punchers chance and thats it.

June 19, 2008 at 10:04 am

idk i think its going to be better then ppl think..dont get me wrong i do think silva will win but idk its going to be good

7. kom34

June 19, 2008 at 10:37 am

i think it will be a good fight too but i'm still watching affliction…sorry dana.

8. dane drebin

June 19, 2008 at 11:50 am

how crazy would it be if irvin got a superman punch knock out in 7 seconds again lol

9. dane drebin

June 19, 2008 at 11:50 am

dana would shit his pants and go cry

10. kom34

June 19, 2008 at 11:57 am

silva losing in any way and dana is going to be pissed

11. steve

June 19, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Guys I think it is important to remeber GSP vs Serra 1. Thats all u have to say about this fight. U know who the better fighter is and who would win 9 out of 10 times but there is always that lucky fucking punch and the sandman has some serious power. I would like to see silva get rocked.

12. dane drebin

June 19, 2008 at 2:02 pm

same here!

13. Onri

June 19, 2008 at 2:30 pm

What has Irvin done besides KO Houston Alexander recently. Nothing. I bet Silva still has better reach and the Sandman will be sleeping at some point in the night.

14. naco21

June 19, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Yeah I dont see Irvin pulling this one off. Silva is too skilled.

15. PoppyNick

June 20, 2008 at 1:53 am

If you ask me this is a sign that Dana is worried about the competition. First the Chuck Liddell show on the same night as Elite XC's debut and now this on Affliction's debut. Sorry Dana, but I'll do what Big John is doing and I'll tivo the UFC and watch the other live.

June 20, 2008 at 2:34 am

sandman has power in them punchs and is a bigger dude A Silva better be on his a game..

June 20, 2008 at 2:36 am

aslo Dana is worried for sure about the affliction card because it kicks ass and they have Elite fighter and there clothing line is way better

18. nablur(click here)

June 20, 2008 at 6:33 am

I think it's great that UFC are putting this show on. It is a testiment to the amount of resources UFC has at it's disposal.

1. They have such a deep talent pool as to be able to come up with last minute shows that are compelling to watch.

2. They have streamlined their production operations to be so nimble that they can pull off a show like this with 4 weeks notice without taking a 2nd breath.

3. They have an expansive relationship with so many venues that they are capable of booking a venue on 4 weeks notice.

4. As a business, I would expect them to want to remain competitive in these still early days of this sport. Many fans underestimate the importance of a promotion to stake their claim early and do everything they can to keep it.

And like Big John says, thank goodness it's on Spike. I can Tivo it and watch the other fight live.

June 20, 2008 at 7:01 am

thats all true man

20. roy

June 20, 2008 at 7:11 am

what a great night its going to be, ufc and affliction i can't wait. the best night of mma ever.

21. steve

June 23, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Without a doubt the Affliction card is the best card I have ever seen. It is so stacked I would order the undercard. This card is crazy good. I cant wait to see what happens. I am rooting for Vitor to make a comeback and also I want to see barnett, Fedor , Alexsander and Arlovski win.

Affliction 2 lets hope for

the signing of Cro Cop and tito ortiz, and more free agent fighters then we could see tito and belfort 2

Barnett vs Fedor

Alexsander vs Arlovski

22. dane drebin

June 23, 2008 at 5:40 pm

ya this card has so much potential i really hope they put it together nicely… anything will be better than the cbs elitexc show tho