Video: Miguel Cotto vs. Alfonso Gomez

Updated: April 13, 2008

WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto defeats Alfonso S. Gomez by TKO doctor stoppage in the fifth round. Cotto won all five round on last nights scorecard, in his overwhelming defeat of the former “Contender” reality star, Alfonso Gomez.

The Puertorrican boxer has made a name for himself with his fast pace, energetic fighting style. Three of his last eight opponents have not returned to boxing after losing to Cotto.

YahooSports:

Floyd Mayweather Jr., the reigning pound-for-pound king in boxing, the WBC welterweight champion, the 2007 Boxing Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year and part-time pro wrestler, won’t fight either Miguel Cotto or Antonio Margarito.

Both Cotto and Margarito were brutally efficient during knockout victories Saturday in their respective welterweight title fights before an enthralled crowd of 9,724 at Boardwalk Hall.

HT MMATKO

1. Alexander Torres

April 13, 2008 at 4:36 am

Cotto paltio al pobre imigrante, mera Cotto le hubieses regalado pal de Panadol a ese kbron le hacian falta :D

2. derek

April 13, 2008 at 7:26 am

i would pay to see cotto-PBF. cotto has a nice resume. his last 5 opponents are all of high caliber for that division. now to ricky hatton has been disposed of, the only fights that make sense are margarito and PBF. please dont bring up paul williams; he sucks. cintron is now out of the picture. so PBF, call off your BS rematch with DLH and fight cotto.

April 13, 2008 at 7:47 am

damn pretty good match

4. luke

April 13, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Cotto looked awesome. I feel he is a real threat to Mayweather, he showed a great jab and just took Gomez' heart away from him and thats something that Alfonzo has been known for since the contender.

I want Mayweather v Cotto. I dont buy many boxing ppv's but that would be well worth my money.

5. Morey

April 14, 2008 at 5:16 am

Now I know why Mayweather won't fight Cotto, he is a beast. I would take Cotto if he ever fights PBF. But that won't happen because Mayweather wants to dance with the stars, go on WWE, and fight Oscar de la Hoya every year. I haven't been a fan of boxing for a few years but its good to see Letterman still sucks. He says dumb things like "Cotto is being Cotto" which doesn't really explain anything. I'm looking foward to Hopkins vs. Calzaghe and I might buy that one.

6. Mel

May 2, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Lis ten people, Cotto has fight everyone. He has prove that he can take, and win. He is not iron man, but i can say that, i will like to see Miguel Angel Cotto From P.R. kick Mayweather out of the ring. I'm sour that Mayweather knows that Cotto can be the one to do that.

Mosley, Mallignagy, Pinto, Sosa, Korley, Torres and a few more. Pound for pound Mayweather, he hasn't fight no body. I will love to see hes preaty face after fight Cotto.

(Cheaken Preaty boy)