Video: Renato Babalu Sobral vs. David Heath

Updated: August 26, 2007

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) is withholding $25,000 of the $50,000 fight purse from Renato “Babalu” Sobral for holding on to the choke after David Heath had submitted. David Heath was already completely bloodied from the fight and passed out from the extended choke of Sobral. The crowd booed Sobral as he left the building. Babalu said:

“He has to learn respect. He deserved that.”

Watch other UFC 74 videos Here

1. Ultimate47

August 26, 2007 at 10:19 am

He's a fine example to talk about respect. No need for that kinda shit in MMA. Bad mouth each other, whatever, but dont do that. Babalu has lost my respect……not that he cares. lol

2. Realwun

August 26, 2007 at 11:16 am

Thats not right no matter how much you hate a guy. If you arent careful you can kill someone with a choke. The guy is a dick and he lost my respect too.

3. Realwun

August 26, 2007 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the vid. I cant stand how the UFC doesnt show these good fights just so they can make more money by selling the undercards. We pay 40 to 50 for these things and only see about and hour of fighting for a three hour slot.

4. jcdemtl

August 26, 2007 at 12:31 pm

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

5. Don

August 26, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Babalu is tough as nails but are you kidding me? I hope he gets his face smashed in and I get to watch it……anytime in the future is fine.

6. shaw

August 26, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Smart as hell. Just like hollywood they guy has made himself the talk of the headlines and now he will get a big match in his next UFC because he will sell PPVs. Mark my words.

7. crynot

August 27, 2007 at 12:01 am

Yeah, I would have to say your words are off a bit. I'm betting Babalu is going to be benched for a while. No body wants to see him fight again. The guy has lost everyones respect.

I'm glad we finally got to see who spilled all that blood. The whole night of fighting we were wondering when they were going to show this fight, and of course they never did.

I'm with you Realwun. It sucks that we only get to see a few fights in such a long period of time. They used to show more of the undercard fights. I'm betting they opted not to show this fight because of the choke at the end….. Babalu is an ass.

8. shaw

August 27, 2007 at 1:27 am

i dont think they will bench him at all and they didnt televise it because they knew they could make money selling it for 2 dollars on PPV. good guy/bad guy works in the WWE, why not in fighting. i think he will have a much bigger fight next time.

9. ncage

August 27, 2007 at 2:40 am

I would say take his all his money with this fight and give it to heath. I'm sure liddel was ringside. To bad he wouldn't have jumped in the ring and put some whoopass on babalu

10. crynot

August 27, 2007 at 3:15 am

Dana has shown that he doesn't tollerate that kind of action. Look at the two guys who fought in the back yard on the ultimate fighter and were kicked off. Everyone wanted to see them duke it out in the octagon, but Dana wouldn't allow it.

Babalu had his chance with Chuck, I think people see him as just what he is, an undercard fighter. A damn good fighter, but a jerk now that we've seen what he did.

11. ohyea

August 27, 2007 at 4:51 am

umm was longer but not as bad as everyone makes out

12. crynot

August 27, 2007 at 7:30 am

Think worst case scenario here…. somebody actually dies because of bad blood. Would it shut down MMA? What a nightmare that would cause for the sport. I would set an example and ban Babalu from the UFC or even the sport.

13. sweetness

August 29, 2007 at 7:55 am

heath should get suspended for sucking, war babalu. give him his money. whats the difference between what he did and what fighters do when they know they've just ko'd somebody and still throw 3,4,5 bombs onto there unconcious face. example gonzaga/crocop …. evans/solemon where is the bitching from everyone about that.

14. Morey

August 29, 2007 at 8:27 am

Babalu was about to beat the guy to a bloody pulp and then choke him out. He was the most impressive out of any fighter that night, love him or hate him. This fight is going to make him popular again and he will be fighing top fighters now.

15. theoldassassin

July 6, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Well that's what Heath gets for being a WW impersonating a LHW.