Video: Tito Ortiz Breaks Down the Numbers

Updated: May 5, 2008

Part 2 of an interview with Tito Ortiz. Probably the best explanation so far on fighter pay.

1. whodini

May 5, 2008 at 8:55 am

yeah i too was taken in in the beginning then he went on rambling but… i do see his point… the fighters do need a few more dollars not all remember its not their venue its the ufc's its like saying microsoft makes too much money

May 5, 2008 at 9:07 am

tito is talking the truth and Dana is going to fuck up the ufc if he keeps being a cheep bastard.. most of the under card ppl make under 8000 and tito is right they tak half for taxs and they have to pay for trainers and training partners

3. Nicks

May 5, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I'm all for fighters getting more pay but don't big names like Tito makes alot of there money from sponsors.

I would like to hear what Tito earned from those sponsors on a yearly or monthly basis.

4. ron shaw

May 5, 2008 at 2:50 pm

This is the interview to watch. Tito puts the numbers behind how he and fighters are getting screwed by the UFC. But Tito is going to have a hard time convincing me that I should pitty him for clearing 600K after taxes for one fight.

5. rickr3

May 5, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Bless your heart,you have bills, boy I sure am glad the rest of us don’t.

6. Wayne

May 5, 2008 at 8:37 pm

I don't feel sorry for big-head one bit, besides his math is all screwed up. The moment he started off with "I am a smart business man, I know the numbers, 50 million minus 20 percent is 30 million" he lost all credibility with me. Add his fight pay, sponsors, special events and appearances he is paying more in taxes than most of us will make in a lifetime.

If he cared so much about the undercard guys ask him to take a slice of his 600k and spread it out. Yeah, I didnt think so. 600k for 10 min win or lose? Stop fucking whining you tool.

7. Businessman

May 6, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I could understand him wanting more money…who doesn't want more money. I make 68K a year and wish I could make 69K or more a year but the bottom line is that the UFC is a business and they made Tito and the other fighters famous. Love or hate Dana, it's a business. I personally can't stand Dana and he is the reason that the UFC is losing some of it's top fighters, but that is a whole different story. The same argument (Tito's) can be made for most business, "the worker is only paid X amount and the company makes millions", that is business. If Tito is such as a smart business man he would have stopped fighting and started his own MMA organization. I train in jiu jitsu and in MMA for fun and even for fun it is hard work..but nobody makes me do it and nobody makes him do it. There are construction workers, garbage men, and soldiers that work harder for less pay than Tito. I respect all martial artist, specially MMA competitors, but without the UFC Tito, you would not have your house, cars (yes plural), or Jenna…so stop bitching and start fighting!

8. Morey

May 6, 2008 at 12:22 pm

You're right. If Tito wants to start winning he is going to have to stop worrying about the money and focus on fighting. I train for fun too and I think Tito forgot where he came from. When he was talking about the old days of training you can tell he used to love to train and fight. Now he has filled his head with image and hype, from talking about himself and probably from Jenna. I bet all Tito and Jenna talk about is how great they think they are.