Wanderlei Silva Declares War On Anderson Silva

Updated: April 18, 2009
wanderlei-silva

wanderlei-silva

Wanderlei Silva had a lot to say about former Chute Boxe training partner Anderson “The Spider” Silva, in a recent interview with Sherdog.

Last week Anderson Silva called Wanderlei’s decision to move to middleweight “pretentious”, which sparked a word storm by the former PRIDE champion.

“I thought it was excellent being quoted by the champion without having had a fight in (Anderson’s) division … It’s a sign that I’m already bothering him. Nobody kicks a tree that is not able to give fruits.”

“Anyone who is a man knows that training shouldn’t be talked about. That’s a basic rule for any fighter: training is training. I’ll not say that I already knocked him out in training. … What happens in training has to stay inside the gym. Training is training and a real fight is a real fight.”

“He is too cocky. I hope he can read this. … I never talked anything bad about him; I always respected him. He has always been my friend, always respected me, but now he came with that statement. I can’t understand that. I didn’t come down to 185 to face him. Actually I didn’t have that intention. … Changing divisions and fighting the champion would be too pretentious. I should have to have many fights before facing him, but concerning his last statements, I think the way is open and the war is declared.”

“If he beats Thales, we will meet and we will see if he will be able to do everything he says. … He knows me; I know him. We trained a lot together. He knows my failures, but I also know his failures, and I know nobody has given him a hard time. Nobody has beaten his face badly. I believe the future is pretty promising. Let’s wait and see.”

1. Ryan S

April 18, 2009 at 3:05 am

I am excited for this. I hope these two face on another.

2. derek

April 18, 2009 at 3:08 am

"Nobody kicks a tree that is not able to give fruits." ROFL

3. Jay

April 18, 2009 at 3:27 am

You got to be kidding me. These guys were like brothers always there for each other and supporting each other for their fights. I think Dana up to something again. Anderson is a very humble guy why would he fight his best friend? This is perplexing. One thing for sure wanderlai is NOT going to knock out the spider. Anderson's striking is an another dimension

4. steve

April 18, 2009 at 5:56 am

Yes there was a time when it was Wanderlei who owned Anderson. And he old Pride Wanderlei may have smashed Anderson but he is not the same fighter and Anderson is not the same fighter either. A lot of fighters get beat the shit out of in the gym at some point. I bet he did knock Anderson out in the gym but like he said a fights a fight and training is training. Wanderlei has lost speed and throwing slow hooks against a straight puncher like Anderson. Oh boy. That would be KO 1rd.

April 18, 2009 at 7:15 am

wow that will be badass…Is W Silva looking pass Rich??

Anderson will knock out W Silva

6. Bob

April 19, 2009 at 5:50 am

Wanderlei said he wanted to move down to middleweight a while ago. I love him but Anderson is just way to fast I think, anyway, at least somebody wants to get into a nasty striking fight with him. Anderson embarassed Leites, that was hard to watch.

7. STEVEO

April 19, 2009 at 8:47 am

well bare minimum you know wand wont fall on his back like a dipshit everytime he gets punched, I have never been pissed off that I bought a ppv until last night, that was terrible.

8. Bob

April 19, 2009 at 9:43 am

I love how Rogan keeps trying to justify it, and I love a good technical fight, I'm a Machida fan, but Silva-Leites was just BS. That flat out sucked.

9. Bob

April 19, 2009 at 9:44 am

Also, the fans pay their damn salary, so we are fairly important, you know.

10. Daniel

April 19, 2009 at 11:49 am

Yes the fans are important. However, the real fans understand that a guy can't come out and knock someone out every time. The difference between Anderson Silva and lets say Houston Alexander (besides the obvious) is that he fights smart. He takes advantage of an opponent when he can and if he can't he doesn't put himself in harms way and go in swinging like a fool. He is a martial arts tactician, and what he did was pick his opponent apart and pick up another win. That is why he holds the record for consecutive wins! He spoiled us early, we are expecting too much.

11. Bob

April 19, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Believe me, I enjoy tactical fights, I've never been bored watching Machida or Silva. Last night sucked because everybody is realizing how good Silva is and they don't want to play his game, I don't blame them. The problem was that Leites ruined the fight because he wouldn't attack in fear of Silva, once again, I don't blame him. Problem 2, Leites had a title shot. Silva didn't have to attack, and I place no blame on him, he was picking apart his challenger,smart plan.

I agree Daniel, there was nothing that Silva did wrong, played it smart. I'm blaming Leites for never really pushing the action, even at the end with his beaten legs and drastically lowered ability from going 4 rounds. He seemed to forget that he has to push the action if he knows he is gonna lose, since HE WAS CHALLENGING FOR THE TITLE. Leites is the one who pissed off the fans and made the fight lame, not Silva.

12. Daniel

April 19, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Well said Bob. I got so mad every time he flopped down to the mat. He couldn't get Silva down so he tried to lure him down there. He acted like he was more concerned with not losing in an embarrassing fashion then he was in winning the title. It is a shame for someone to waste an opportunity to not only win a title but to upset such a well regarded fighter.