WEC 31 Results Live

December 12, 2007

Venue:

The Joint – Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Nevada

Broadcast:

Live on Versus

Main Card

• Urijah Faber (144 lbs) vs Jeff Curran (143.5 lbs)
    Result: Urijah Faber defeats Jeff Curran by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 4:22 of R2
  • Jens Pulver (145 lbs) vs Cub Swanson (146 lbs)
    Result: Jens Pulver defeats Cub Swanson by Submission (Anaconda Choke) at 0:35 of R1
  • Paulo Filho (185 lbs) vs Chael Sonnen (185 lbs)
    Result: Paulo Filho defeats Chael Sonnen by Submission (Armbar) at 4:55 of R2
  • Doug Marshall (204 lbs) vs Ariel Gandulla (199 lbs)
    Result: Doug Marshall defeats Ariel Gandulla by Submision (Armbar) at 0:55 of R1
  • John Alessio vs Todd Moore
    Result: John Alessio defeats Todd Moore by Unanimous Decision.
  • Bryan Baker (183.5 lbs) vs Eric Schambari (182.5 lbs)
    Result: Bryan Baker defeats Eric Schambari By Split Decision.
  • Alex Karalexis (155 lbs) vs Ed Ratcliff (155 lbs)
    Result: Ed Ratcliff defeats Alex Karalexis by TKO (Strikes) at 1:26 of R2.

• Brian Bowles (134 lbs) vs Marcos Galvao (136 lbs)
    Result: Brian Bowles defeats Marcos Galvao by TKO (Strikes) at 2:09 of R2.
  • Ian McCall (136 lbs) vs Charlie Valencia (134 lbs)
    Result: Charlie Valencia defeats Ian McCall by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 3:19 of R1.

1. dane drebin

December 12, 2007 at 11:27 am

callin it right now faber retains… filho retains… jens wins by knock out

2. Nate

December 12, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I was not impressed with that bitch Filho

3. Morey

December 12, 2007 at 2:46 pm

I've seen two WEC events and they put most UFC's to shame with how good their fights are. Yeah, Filho's fight was the only disappointment…he caught a guy in an armbar and the ref thought it was a hyperextention, but really he was turning his arm out of it…the fight was stopped with no tap.

4. KOPower

December 12, 2007 at 2:52 pm

What Faber does is out of this world. He is one of the sickest fighters I've ever seen. Can't wait to see him fight Pulver, that is really going to take his name to a new level. Doug Marshall too, that guy is knocking someones block off or taking their arm within the first minute, he seems like the real deal.

5. Morey

December 12, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Yeah Faber is really good. I saw Curran fight in another WEC event and he seemed really good. I still think he won round 1 of that fight but Faber was able to stun him with the flying knee and then submit. Both guys did good though. Pulver really impressed me in this one and made that win look too easy.

6. dane drebin

December 12, 2007 at 4:11 pm

after seeing this fight can anyone really compare filho to avnderson silva??? is it really that hard to see who is better? just wondering…. maybe filho's better on the ground but i think he would be knocked out before he could get his hands on anderson

7. dane drebin

December 12, 2007 at 4:23 pm

also if what jens did tonight didnt humble cub i dont know what will. i thought jens was gunna knock him out but that was hilarious maybe swanson shoulda been more respectful to the legend that is pulver. i would love to see jens be the guy who beats faber because i think he needs to be humbled too. hahah faber is an awesome champ and i really dont know if pulver can beat such an athlete but i think it would be good for both of their careers. jens would be a champion again and give his career new life while it would humble faber make him stop being such a cocky dick to his opponents and make him come back even stronger

8. KOPower

December 12, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Oh no doubt after his last two fights in the WEC, Filho is not as great as everybody thinks. I would bet a ton on Anderson Silva after watching that performance. His eye was swollen and everything. Anderson by TKO in the 2nd.

9. CagE

December 12, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Filho definitely disappointed again, but I still have think he could hold his own with top middleweight contenders.

Maybe not Anderson Silva!

10. CagE

December 12, 2007 at 7:39 pm

Faber looks unbeatable. I hope the WEC feeds him Jens next.

11. Kash

December 12, 2007 at 11:35 pm

I can't wait to see the replay I heard all of the fights were good.

12. steve

December 13, 2007 at 3:50 am

Filho looked like shit. He got his ass beat and if Chael would have kept it stnding instead of taking Filho down he could have won. But it did look like it was only a matter of time b4 he got caught in a sub. and tapped. Doug Marshall is a joke. I would like to SH mfor shooot him. KD what a fag.

13. derek

December 13, 2007 at 8:12 am

how is filho ranked #2 on mmaweekly.com? i know he is 16-0, but anderson silva would own him if the fight were tonight. filho would never be able to even get close to silva… since silva is like 6'1 or 6'2 and filho is 5'8.

14. Realwun

December 13, 2007 at 10:12 am

With the exception of fighting CroCop, Barnett has done well. He has fought a lot of top names and even has a win over Couture. He's not my favorite fighter but I appreciate the fact that he is a heavyweight that tries to work on a well rounded game.

15. dane drebin

December 13, 2007 at 5:18 pm

that last post was random as fuck what does that ahve to do with the wec card? i think rich franklin would knock filho out first round … i dont think he could submit franklin but i know franklin could knock him the fuck out filho should be number 3 if that

16. JOE

December 13, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Realwun was answering a question from the thread posted before this one. I think he just posted it here by mistake. It's really not a big deal.

I think Filho would be owned by Anderson Silva. I think he'd have his hands full (putting it lightly) with the likes of Franklin or even Okami.

17. Morey

December 14, 2007 at 2:41 am

Filho was saying that his bad performance was because of weight cutting. He got to Vegas weighing over 200. I get that he is big and needs to cut a lot but the guy just never looked like he wanted to be there. On the other side, Sonnen brought it and was doing well. Mir was right when he said he didn't know why he was taking the fight to the ground against a BJJ blackbelt. I guess the guy got overconfident in how the fight was going. I know you guys hate the Tapout people but Mask was right on when he said that it doesnt matter if you have 100% talent if you enter the fight with 70% will.

I think Anderson at this point is almost unstoppable. His range alone can keep Filho at bay until he decides to land a hard hit. His best comp is Henderson and I think that will be a war.